Author Topic: PH110: ExStik® Refillable pH Meter  (Read 4010 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
PH110: ExStik® Refillable pH Meter
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:49:37 AM »
i am going to purchase this meter. I am wondering what else I need to go with it. There are a lot of accessories. Some more necessary than other it would seem. I would like to get it all at once.
Thanks

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: PH110: ExStik® Refillable pH Meter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
Not to dampen your spirit on this, but before you do, have you combed the site for peoples' experience with this meter?  Many love them and many, it seems (myself included), have had some pretty frustrating experiences with reliability issues.  At $100+, it isn't inconsequential.  Just what I hope is a helpful FYI.
- Paul

wharris

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:24:56 PM »

Here is what comes with the meter as I see it:
The Stand: (I don't Use it)

Buffer Solutions: (I don't buy these.)

Replacement pH Probe: I (might) buy one, when I wear out the one I have.

The Reference Refill solution. I have bought this, and have used it once.

Refillable Replacement pH Probe: I (might) buy one, when I wear out the one I have.

What I do use:
Hanna Instruments HI 70300M Storage Solution For pH/ORP Electrodes. 0.23 L

Hanna Instruments HI 7004M - 4.01 pH Buffer Solution

Hanna Instruments HI 7007M - 7.01 pH Buffer Solution

Hanna Instruments HI 7010M - 10.01 pH Buffer Solution

Beaker Low Form Glass Graduated 50ml

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
Wayne, I know you do 3 pt. calibrations. Don't know if you've seen the thread/post I reference above - but do you experience a similar issue with it giving "reasonable" readings on liquids - e.g., milk, and first LAB activity; but then seemingly off on later steps - e.g., the curd itself?

Just bought some KCL for making up my own storage solution.  Using 7.01 as storage medium, don't know if for some reason over time (a short time, in my case) that really comes into play on making the thing go haywire.
- Paul

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
OK so which meter do you all recommend?
I thought this was the one you all liked ?
Now I am confused.

wharris

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
ArnaudForestier,
I've had many <$50 meters over time.  They always broke, and gave wildly inaccurate readings.  But to be fair, those meters were never meant to provide the kind of accuracy, across the demanding usage schedule that I needed. They were fragile, and  I went through about 4 of those.

The ExTech PH110 meter was my first >$100 pH meter.  I had some initial problems that were solved by tech support. Those were documented somewhere in this forum. But after those were cleared up, my pH meter worked fine. This meter does require more work and I had to get used to that.  I had to learn to store it every time with the tip in a storage solution.  I had to learn to how it sample with it. 

What works for me is this.
> Tip not resting on the very bottom of the beaker.
> Sample and pH meter kept still.
> Sample and pH meter allowed to stand for about 1 min.

The bottom line for me is that the  Extech PH110 is still a mid-priced pH meter, that, in my opinion, is not really designed for this level of work.  In the grand scheme of things, this meter is designed to tell us how acidic a stain in a carpet might be, or the soil in our backyard, or one's pool in the backyard.
[Warning - incoming philosophical rant]
In my humble opinion, we as cheese makers (and wine makers) are asking a heck of a lot from our meters.  We all need good pH meters, but we don't want to pony up the cost of a good meter. (well, I don't at least).

So we are all left using slightly underdesigned meters in a demanding environment that leaves darn little margin for error.
[/rant]

In this light, my ExTech gives me consistant readings, that over time, I have learned to trust it.  It works worlds better than any meter that I have ever used.  Key to my acceptance of this meter is trust. That did not come easy.  Truth be told, there were times when I doubted the accuracy of my PH110. But what I did to trust my pH meter readings was immediately check the meter readings against the closest buffer solution. In all cases (so far) when checked, my pH meter would correctly read that buffer solution at 4.01, or 7.01.

So, to me, its all comes down to trusting your equipment. 

I try and buy the cheapest equipment possible that I find trustworthy.  So far, I still trust my pH meter. But the moment I cannot trust my meter, it becomes useless to me. 

I hope this helps a bit.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
Wayne, yes, this is really helpful, thanks.  I admit that behind my rant was also the knowledge that at $100+ - as much as that is, relative to what I would hope to spend - it isn't much in the world of ISFETs and even truly workhorse, professional-grade standard units.  I was involved in QC for our brewery (really, just a trained rat - knew testing procedures and minimal background science behind them, which my right-oriented brain has largely forgotten), so am a bit spoiled to have centrifuges, incubators, oil-immersion microscopy, HEPA hood, etc.

I do recall your initial problems, and will do a search and re-read.  I just got a cheap source of KCL, and will make up my own storage solution.  If I trust the initial-process reads, it's the later parts that are troubling me (again - no real change over the course of LAB ripening; or a precipitous drop in pH, post pre-press), so will have to think on what I might be doing.  Now that I think on it, if I'm getting consistently "off" results, it's either the meter, or my technique that is, consistently, wrong.  I'll re-read your stuff and presume the latter for now, and hope for the best. 

Thanks again - helpful.

Paul
- Paul

wharris

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:16 PM »
OK so which meter do you all recommend?
I thought this was the one you all liked ?

Sorry for your confusion.  But I understand where you are coming from. 
I'm not sure you will find a solid recommendation for much of anything thing here on the CheeseForum. You might find something like, "here is what I use."

The bottom line is that all different types of pH meters are used by the folks here. For some reason, there are probably 15-20 people here that have this model. I am one of them. (That sound right folks?)

This meter performs much better for me, than any I've used before, but its not the best out there. Its a good balance 'tween cost and function.

Some here have had initial calibration issues.  Not sure what the deal is with that. But the ExTech folks were great on the phone, and my initial unit was replaced with a working model that works just fine.

So, at this point, I am satisfied with my existing meter.  Would i like the fancy bench top meters? Sure, but its tough to justify a 500 dollar meter when my little 100 dollar meter is still working OK.