Author Topic: Barely Buzzed (Tomme de Coffe & Lavendar)  (Read 4781 times)

Brie

Barely Buzzed (Tomme de Coffe & Lavendar)
« on: February 13, 2011, 03:03:37 AM »
I've been experimenting with some cheeses that have been made by Beehive Cheese--this is one that is called Barely Buzzed--I used a classic (washed curd) tomme that I aged for 4 months. I washed the rind with ground coffee, lavendar and olive oil. It is amazing!

smilingcalico

Re: Barely Buzzed (Tomme de Coffe & Lavendar)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 06:18:39 AM »
That looks great!  I appreciate the thin, even rind you achieved (no doubt the olive oil).   How much of the coffee and lavender flavor came through in the cheese? 

Brie

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 06:51:01 AM »
Pretty strong taste along the rind--nice subtle taste in the cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »
Gorgeous cheese, as always, Brie.

Where did you get the idea for ground coffee as a rind treatment? Does the lavender come through very much?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Brie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
From a compnay called Beehive Cheese in Utah. I grinded the coffee with the lavender and it had a very pleasant aroma--so much so that I made a pot of coffee with the mixture and it was wonderful. I am now working on another cheese idea I got from them called SEAHIVE--it is also a tomme that I am rubbing the rind with wild honey and sea salt. That should be interesting as well. Check them out at beehivecheese.com.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
Thanks for that link, Brie. Hey, I use Real salt from Redmond...and I have raw honey. That sounds like an intriguing idea. Put that up there on my makes to do. Not so sure about that coffee idea though.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:26 PM »
Ah Brie you make such lovely cheeses! Glad I got to see this one! Nice idea. I saw something along this line a few months back but I have forgotten since then where and what is was. Great cheese lady! Great cheese!

Brie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 11:48:50 PM »
Thanks, Deb--haven't heard from you in awhile. I just adore this experimentation! How are you?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »
Brie, your cheese looks SO amazing!  Do you have other experimental cheeses you can post photos of?  (or provide links to the threads that showcase them?)   Have you ever done just honey?  I just tried a honey coating on a Caerphilly that had been in my wine fridge for a week or two.  Then I stuck leaves of scented cranesbill to it and a bit of honey over the leaves.  felt like decoupage a bit.  Do you have any advice for me on this experiment?  I'll post photo to give you a sense.  Or anyone else????  any sense of the care of a honeyed cheese?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:55:20 AM »
Oops, forgot to attach photo. 

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 05:39:21 AM »
A rind rubbed with coffee ?!?!?!?!?! I am soooo sorry I did not think of that! That is BRILLIANT!!! That is like a thinkgeek.com quality idea there!

I can't wait to try it, that is all I have to say! And what a gorgeous rind there, great job, I am impressed!

Hmmmm.... I wonder what would happen if someone were to add a small amount of coffee to the milk itself when making the cheese.... cold brewing would likely be the best approach, probably on the order of an ounce or so per gallon, not much just a taste.....

Methinks its novel enough to try!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:44:51 AM by mightyMouse.tar.gz »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 01:45:49 PM »
Hmmmm.... I wonder what would happen if someone were to add a small amount of coffee to the milk itself when making the cheese.... cold brewing would likely be the best approach, probably on the order of an ounce or so per gallon, not much just a taste.....

Methinks its novel enough to try!
Coffee is acidic so you'd have to find a way to balance that added acidity to the milk.

"// bad cheese exception handling
try { Cheese myCheese = new Gouda(); } catch (NastyCheeseException e) { throw new CultureContaminationException(); } finally {UseInCooking(myCheese);}" ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

bbracken677

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
A year or so ago, I had a cheese with a ground espresso bean rind...was delicious. From the flavor and texture it was aged (a guess) a year or better. Of course the rind had strong espresso flavor, but the inner cheese you really couldn't taste the espresso at all. A very nice cheese it was, sort of like a dry, aged monterey jack.