Author Topic: So far so good  (Read 4714 times)

brent

So far so good
« on: January 02, 2009, 08:22:54 AM »
so far out of 2 attempts (both simple) 1st labnah  now a whole milk ricotta both a success very encouraging next up another ricotta with the leftover whey then ill try a Gouda best get on with building a press  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheese Head

Re: So far so good
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:51:39 AM »
Congrats, don't forget Neufchatel or Cream Cheese or Feta, fast and easy vs needing a press and and cheese cave of sorts. Lots of different presses posted here.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »
Brent as long as you have a round thing to mold a cheese in you don't need a press for Blue Cheese or Stilton. I would suggest a mold with a follower though as I like to press down a little to make sure it forms a nice wheel.

brent

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:37:53 PM »
i have a 6 inch peice of pvc pipe about 5 in diameter and a couple of 2lb bar-bell weights i think that will work well  ;D ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 02:07:48 AM »
Where did you find the PVC and for how much?

brent

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:00:41 AM »
was laying about here but a plumbing supplier would have it cheap for a offcut 

wharris

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 03:04:01 AM »
Look for construction sites and pick through the waste

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 03:40:01 AM »
Yeah, but most irrigation places don't have off cuts they want to sell a whole length. I've bought it in the past and will have to call around. I don't want 6", I need 8" and 12", I've found it all the way up to 24" but I might have to buy the 10' length. If I can't figure out something else maybe I'll see if anyone on here wants to split one.

Basically I need to make some new molds. I'm going to start a new post and that will say everything.

beeman

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:17:20 AM »
I don't want 6", I need 8" and 12", I've found it all the way up to 24" but I might have to buy the 10' length. If I can't figure out something else maybe I'll see if anyone on here wants to split one.

You might be interested in today's discovery. PVC pipe has the be joined! This is done with a 'sleeve' slightly wider than the pipe to be joined. This is a slip fit over the pipe and has a flange in the centre to stop it going all the way through.
Each sized pipe has a same sized sleeve, 4" 6" 8" not sure about 12". I picked up two 4" and one 6" sleeves from a local plumbers supply.
All I have to do is grind off the flange with my Dremel and drill a few holes for drainage and I have 3 good moulds.
Next step will be Brie hoops.

Cheese Head

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 01:25:03 AM »
Good idea, I've looked at those couplings before as well but discarded th idea as I have no way to remove the inside upset. Good thinking with dremel tool, hope it's strong enough as lots of plastic to cut off.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »
Good idea, but as far as I know they don't sell them that big. They used a special machine that welds them at those sizes. And the insides of the coupleing might not be as smooth as the inside of a pipe. And fittings are usually a lot more expensive. I'd expect an 8" fitting to be in the $50-$75 range.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 09:23:42 PM »
Hey Cartierusm,
For large diameter PVC you might try calling Ocean Shore Hardware in Half Moon Bay.  They used to sell large diameter (10" and 12") by the foot.
CC

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 10:19:40 PM »
Sweet, thanks. Which one is that, is that the one over by Nor Cal Surf Shop? Not right new to it but the one next to the cement plant.

P.S. just called and the largest they sell is 4". But they did give me some ideas on where to find it.

SalMac

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:28:40 PM »
Is that food grade PVC?

beeman

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 10:47:58 PM »
Is that food grade PVC?

My information is that all PVC is food grade, so provided it's sterilised before use?