Author Topic: Mascarpone recipe with vinegar anybody??  (Read 2750 times)

Rpp

Mascarpone recipe with vinegar anybody??
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:15:24 AM »
Hey,
I have looked at a bunch of recipes of Mascarpone, but most of them seem to require tartaric acid.
I live in small town India and have little or no access to any kind of speciality stores
I was wondering if anybody had a recipe of Mascarpone using vinegar.
I also have some whey from the Ricotta I made the other day, could I use that to curdle the cream?
Any help would be fantastic
Cheers

MrsKK

Re: Mascarpone recipe with vinegar anybody??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:47:28 AM »
Here's a recipe I made last winter, using white rice wine vinegar.  It turned out really well for me.

This recipe comes from The Home Creamery by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley, copyright 2008. I did find that I needed to add more vinegar than asked for to effect coagulation of the curd, but it may be that the vinegar I used was weak, as we've had it for quite some time.

Mascarpone
4 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar

Her notes: You can make a double boiler yourself for this recipeby using a stainless steel bowl and a large saucepan. Just be sure that the bowl doesn't touch the bottom of the pan that holds it and that there's enough room to add water to the pan.

1) Pour the cream into the top of a large double boiler and slowly heat to 190* F, stirring occassionally. Check the temperature with a thermometer.

2) Stir in the vinegar, and continue to stir until the cream begins to curdle. Remove the pan from the water, cover, and let stand about 15 minutes or until the curds begin to firm.

3) Pour or ladle the curds into a butter muslin-lined strainer set over alarge bowl. Let the curds cool completely, then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours to continue draining and to firm.

4) Discard the liquid and transfer the mascarpone to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Stir well before using.

My notes: When I made this, I only drained overnight and it was thick enough that it could not be stirred, but had to be kneaded to make sure it was consistent throughout. I packed it into plastic containers and have it frozen until I am ready to make Tiramisu.

Rpp

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:04:23 AM »
Thank you so much Karen

Im going to try this out today...

I made Ricotta the other day, and I face the same problem, I had to put a lot more vinegar that the recipe called for. i think your right is is purely a function of the concentration of the solution

I have saved the whey from the ricotta. Can I use that to curdle milk? I was reading somewhere that it make a much nicer cheese. Let me know

Thank you soooo  much

PS: that recipe for the pseudo Kahlua recipe was also great

MrsKK

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:10:11 PM »
No, I don't think the whey from your ricotta making will be acidic enough to curdle the milk properly.  I only make ricotta from whey using heat, no vinegar, so I can't help you with that one.

That Kahlua recipe is really good.  I got it off of the Internet somewhere.  I used hazelnut vanilla coffee this year and really like the flavor of it.