Author Topic: Known Cheese Making Suppliers In All Of AZ!  (Read 10615 times)

wcaprar

Known Cheese Making Suppliers In All Of AZ!
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:27 PM »
Hey all you Arizona people! Where are all you guys?

I just found this thread...area....thing... and surprise, surprise, no one has posted anything Arizona related! So I thought I would get us all started. If anyone knows anything about any cheese making suppliers, please, post it here. Be sure to mention it's location and some of  the stuff it has there. I hope that this thread will be the last place you will have to look to find a store, no matter where you are in Az. Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:02:55 AM by wcaprar »

wcaprar

Re: Known Cheese Making Suppliers In All Of AZ!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:01:20 AM »
I'll get the list started!

I get all my Cheese making supplies from What Ale's Ya?  It's located on Bell rd. between 67th and 61st ave. right by a self storage place.

What Ale's Ya? is a wine and beer brewing supply shop that has just recently started stocking cheese making supplies. All of their products are Mad Millie brand, and although they used to have a very small stock, I just visited today and they have everything that is on the Mad Millie website (sadly the website is incomplete, but it seems to have every product but no real descriptions).

What Ale's Ya? has all kinds of cultures, molds, lipase, rennet, calcium chloride, cheese presses, cheese mold of all sizes, wax, plastic, cheese cloth, and various wrappings, citric acid, salts, herbs, etc, etc.

Be sure to visit them if you are in the area, and if you shop there, feel free to leave a reply here!

Thanks!

Desert Cheesemaker

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 06:06:42 PM »
Hi Arizona Cheesemakers!  I have been to What Ale's Ya and they just started carrying cheese supplies.  I really like getting my supplies from Glenngary - any time I have had a question the ladies there are very, very helpful!!!!  I have even gotten calls back from them w/ more information - something I never expected.  I have only been making cheese for about 2 years in Waddell, AZ, and I am in love w/ making cheese.  The biggest obstacle I have been faced w/ is not being able to obtain raw milk w/out paying $$$.  I have been trying to find a "cow share" but haven't had any luck.  I have successfully used store milk (from Costco) w/ great success, so long as I use calcium chloride, but I miss not being able to make cheese w/ cream - all store cream I have found is ultrapasteurized.  I am using a wine frig as my cave, so far so good, its set at 58 degrees.  A great place to learn how to make cheese at home is "Homestead Heritage" in Waco, TX, they have full 1 & 2 day classes every month, but they fill up fast, the class is really inexpensive and they give you a cheese recipe cookbook w/ great instructions.  Love to hear from any Arizona cheesemakers - Terry aka Desertcheesemaker

Brie

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:58:33 AM »
Welcome Arizona cheesemakers! I have ventured out to What Ale's Ya, and was a bit disappoionted. Rennet that the salesperson would not show me, a few expensive kits and molds that were domed on one side only. Also, they don't know anything about cheesemaking and the salesperson (at the time) did not seem to be interested in anything but his cell phone. A 45 minute drive for me, so I would rather purchase my products online. Now, for those who are in the Phoenix area and would like to purchase raw milk--there is a place in Queen Creek (Riggs and Higley intersection) that sells it for $10 per gallon. Holstien and Jersey cows and well worth the price. Seek it out, well worth the effort.

wcaprar

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
Wow, I'm sorry Brie.
They really don't know anything about cheesemaking there, which I wasn't too troubled about because I have this great forum, but I do understand why thats a negative. Im not sure who yours salesperson was but that disappoints me. Mostly because all the guys there always seemed very interested in what I'm doing and how it's all turning out. The salesperson I have been talking to most (Norman) took me in the back to look at all the rennets, CaCl2, and all of their molds and cultures.

I wish was lived closer to Queen Creek, Google Maps says it's a 2 hour drive for me :(  Maybe I can find an excuse to drive down there something.

Thanks for the info Brie!

Jerseymom

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
Hi,
I am new to cheese making. I have a Jersey cow that just had her first calf 3 mos ago. Most of the milk has been going to the calf but we are weaning him off of it now and I find I have a lot of milk!!!.  I have been trading it for eggs with a neighbor, but, really how many eggs can you eat!!.  My cow is a mini, and she is producing 2 gallons a day. I have been making yogurt in the crock pot with good results, and I did make a nice garlic and chive cheese the other day. I have gotten my supplies from a web site called Homesteadersupplies.com.
She is very local to me, so I just went to her place and picked up what I needed. Sadly she is moving out of state. I am in Prescott, AZ
I am trying to learn as much as I can from books and online. Would love to take a class in cheese making.

RichsCheese

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:01:01 AM »
I am moving to AZ with my little cheese supply business- won't close on the house until July 3 2015- but I will try to post here again with contact information,
Rich
Go forth and make cheese