Author Topic: Tomme - Rind Wash Recommendation?  (Read 1726 times)

mcfly

Tomme - Rind Wash Recommendation?
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »

Hey All

I need some advice on washing my Tomme style cheese. Its a naturally pressed 1.5kg wheel and its just come out of the 1/5 brine and now drying for 24 hours. My cave is a constant 8c and the humidity is around 85% so can anybody give me a good wash recommendation for this environment? Also how long I need to wash it for and any other tips on making a nice Tomme style cheese.

Thanks

OudeKaas

Re: Tomme - Rind Wash Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:09:08 PM »

Hey All

I need some advice on washing my Tomme style cheese. Its a naturally pressed 1.5kg wheel and its just come out of the 1/5 brine and now drying for 24 hours. My cave is a constant 8c and the humidity is around 85% so can anybody give me a good wash recommendation for this environment? Also how long I need to wash it for and any other tips on making a nice Tomme style cheese.

Thanks

BC, there has been quite a lot of discussion on this topic here of late. A search on "tomme" in the forum should give you a lot of reading. In brief, there is a regimen suggested by linuxboy (shocking, I know) and a bunch of feedback on various people's takes and variations on it. Try the following threads for starters:

Tomme Cheese Making Recipe

My First Raw Milk Tomme - help?

Encouraging/Emulating beneficial indigenous molds on a natural rind tomme?

Tomme rind types?

Boofer's Tomme #2 -- Complex rind

Feel free to join any of these ongoing conversations if that's helpful, interested to find out about how your own effort is going . . .

mcfly

Re: Tomme - Rind Wash Recommendation?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »
Great.. Il take a look now

Thanks ;)