Author Topic: Attempt #1 at Gouda! A couple of bad ideas? You tell me!  (Read 3937 times)

kookookachoo

Re: Attempt #1 at Gouda! A couple of bad ideas? You tell me!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:18 PM »
You've inspired me!  I hope my gouda will turn out to be half as decent.  I'm not expecting much, that way, I won't be disappointed (although my inner optimist is keeping her fingers & toes crossed).  The cut-up photo...it looks really, really creamy! 

And not meaning to hi-jack, but since the whey-used-as-brine was mentioned...how long does this keep in the fridge?  I've got fresh whey right now, draining & the rest is already in a couple of gallon jugs (thanks, Boofer!)-salted, too.  Is there an expiry date to this?  Thanks!

smilingcalico

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 01:28:03 AM »
Both my old dairy and the new one I work at would just keep re-salting the brine. You can use it nearly indefinitely if maintaine.  Read the wiki article on brine, it'll point you in the right direction.

kookookachoo

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 01:35:11 AM »
Aha!  Thanks, I found it.  Along with other topics, too.  Seriously,  I missed about half of the wiki stuff, I don't know how.   ::)

wcaprar

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 06:31:29 PM »
Thanks Kookoo! I just made another Gouda and will be posting about that soon. In that post I am going to type out what I did differently from this first attempt, in hopes that it won't be quite as bland, be sure to give it a read!