Author Topic: Starter Cultures, Freeze Dried - Many Small Packets Or Large Package?  (Read 2221 times)

fiddletree

Hi all, another question about mesophilic cultures!

This week I received my cultures by mail (finally!) from Moorlands Cheesemakers, and among other starter cultures I got, I ordered the 'MA400 Cheese Making Starter', which says it is enough for 50 liters of milk.

However, in Carroll's Home Cheesemaking book, most of the recipes call for '1 packet direct set mesophilic starter', even if I am using 4 liters of milk.  I assume that they don't mean to use an entire packet (although there is little in there) of the meso starter good for 50 liters, but something like 1/4 tsp, as I've seen in another book I'm using.  Is that correct? 

Another related question... since I somehow can't seem to find an Italian company that sells direct set cultures, strangely, I think I'll keep ordering from Moorelands for the time being.  However, they have the little bags of cultures like what I ordered (MA400 Cheese Making Starter, Choozit), and they also have what seems to be a larger amount Choozit 102 200 DCU Cheese Making Culture.  I still pretty new at this, and can't tell the difference so much between the different meso cultures I've mentioned, and I am trying to figure out which is more cost effective.  I'm assuming the latter, and also assuming that it will be a good 'all purpose' meso starter. Am I right, or off base?

Thanks!

Gustav

I think it's right, just go with the packet. If it says it's for 50 litres, divide the packet into 10. That will give you the amount to use for 5litre batches.

opalcab

Try 200 easy cheese recipes a much better book for recipes Amazon has it cheaper than the cheese maker you will like the recipe break down better for smaller batches
Have fun making cheese
Stan M.