Author Topic: My First Feta - Brine Question  (Read 106 times)

Offline TheFinalWord

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
My First Feta - Brine Question
« on: December 16, 2014, 06:39:03 AM »
I've completed my first feta (my first cheese) and I have a question about brining.  The recipe I followed is from Mary Jane Toth which can be found at http://hoeggerfarmyard.com/the-farmyard/cheese-making/make-feta/.

I followed the directions and put around 3tbsp of cheese salt on the feta while flipping.

What I'm not sure of is how much salt I should now add as part of the brine.  I don't want it to be too salty and because I've already added salt, should I use a less salty brine?  Any suggestions on % would be appreciated.  I plan to use some of the whey for the brine to keep the pH consistent. 

Also, when do I place it in brine?  Do I do it now (I've just put it in the fridge) or do I do it after the 5-7 days of aging recommended in the recipe?

Online scasnerkay

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 68
  • Default personal text
Re: My First Feta - Brine Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
I just had a look at her recipe. I have not tried that approach before. I add salt to my feta with a saturated brine instead, and then take the cheese out of the brine and put it on a mat in the cave to stabilize for 2 days. During that 2 days the salt is moving into the cheese and it firms up. I keep the whey in the house frig during this time. After the 2 days I put it into a light brine (8%) made from the whey. It is ready to eat in about 1 week. But it is still good 6 months later! So if the cheese is in your home frig, I would say you could let it rest 5 to 7 days as instructed. Try the cheese at that point - it should be tasty! Then put the rest in light brine for longer storage. I hope the whey from making the cheese has been kept in the frig as well!
I am making feta today too!
Susan

Offline TheFinalWord

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 09:15:07 PM »
Thank you for the response.  The whey was kept covered at room temperature for about 24hrs and then placed in mason jars and put into the fridge.  Will this pose a problem? 
Assuming it is OK to use the whey as part of the brine, I think I will do what you suggest and place it in a lighter brine after letting it rest in the fridge.

Online scasnerkay

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 68
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
You could try tasting the whey and see if it is too sour or okay! I think it will be okay.
Susan