Author Topic: Anyone Used this Dutch Press?  (Read 1576 times)

sstrantz

Anyone Used this Dutch Press?
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Since I haven't posted here very often, I guess I should start with a little introduction.  I live in Northern Indiana and have been following the forum for quite some time.  I've really enjoyed all the great information and personalities out there!  I began making cheese about 2.5 years ago using raw organic cow's milk, and I love it!    My name, "Leah's Mom" is in honor of my oldest daughter, Leah, who died in an accident in 2009 just 1 week before her 30th birthday.

So...on to my question...

Does anyone know anything about the press listed in this link? 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250763497611&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I am going to purchase a Dutch press soon.  I found Smolt1's press last November on eBay, then saw it on the forum as well and had about decided to purchase one.  A couple days ago the link above was posted in the "off the wall press" topic so I took a look at it.  I like the idea that it has a removable base, the drip tray idea, maple wood, etc., but  I don't like to just purchase something without having any feedback from folks that have used it - or at least hearing some thoughts. 

Usually the largest mold I use is 8" diameter and no more than 6-8 gallon batches.  I'm thinking at that size I probably would not need more than 200 lb, although I do have a bit of confusion regarding psi vs. the weights listed in most cheese recipes.  I'm guessing the "psi vs. weight listed" issue has probably been addressed in other posts but if anyone has anything that would simplify how to interpret and convert these numbers that would be helpful too.  (Maybe just point me to an existing post?)

So - any thoughts or experience with this particular press?

Thanks!

~Sue~  (AKA - Leah's Mom)

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Anyone Used this Dutch Press?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »
Nice press. Well made.