Author Topic: Texture - Crumbly & Dry  (Read 2511 times)

Dennismc

Texture - Crumbly & Dry
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:55:09 AM »
I am a relatively new home cheese maker. In general I have been happy with my cheeses except for the fact that they are invariably crumbly and dry. Taste and appearance are fine.  Having gone through Ricki's book and read all I can on this site I have adjusted times to the minmum for temperature and length of time for each stage. All to no avail. Impatient i have just opened a 6 week old oiled rind Manchego (couldn't wait any longer). Although the taste is really good it was very crumbly.

This is the first natural rind cheese I have made. Previously I have waxed all of the cheeses I have made to date. Even my Goudas have been crumbly/dry. Can anyone help me?

Dennis Mc

george

Re: Texture - Crumbly & Dry
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:32:54 AM »
The same thing happened to me for the first 20 cheeses or so that I made.  I have no idea if any of this applies to you, but I finally figured out (after a 5-month hiatus) that I was doing a number of bad things. 

1)  I was WAY too cavalier about temps and cooking times - so I was more or less overcooking the curds on most of the ones I made.  Fixed that by erring, if needed, on the side of lower temp and less cooking if they "seemed" done.

2)  I was really beating up the curds at the beginning of cooking, so I was losing (I think) all sorts of butterfat.  Fixed that by, ummmm, stirring with my hand veeeeeeeeeerry gently for at least the beginning of the cooking process - but usually all the way, since hey, I've already stuck my hand in, so I'd rather feel the curds anyway.  And it's easier to separate any mats with my fingers than with a ladle.

3)  I also started doing a pre-cut on the curds (I think this has to do with butterfat loss too?).  So if I wanted to end up with 1/2-inch curds, I first cut (vertically) to 1", let them rest 10 minutes, then do the 1/2-inch cut vertically and horizontally.  I've also starting erring, if necessary, on the side of bigger curd cuts rather than smaller - less chance of me mucking up the moisture loss that way. 

Either way, whatever the technical reasons for my boo-boos, all this in combination has solved that problem for me.   I hope this helps, because oh, I remember that feeling every time I excitedly broke into a cheese to discover crumbles.   ???

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
Ageing can really help with the dry & crumbliness (word?).  I made a cheese in August 2009 that I cracked open in January 2010.  It was very dry, crumbly, and mild in flavor.  I don't have a cheesecave yet, so I just put it in a plastic bag and threw it in the veggie drawer of my spare fridge and forgot about it.  Until Christmastime this year when I was looking for a sharp cheese to grate into my cheese dip.  The previously dry cheese had formed a moldy crust on it (very little rind, surpisingly) and was now very flavorful, no longer dry, but had a creamy texture to it.

Patience truly is key.

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 04:33:27 AM »
Hi Dennis and welcome to the forum.

In addition to the great suggestions and hints you already got, I wanted to point out that crumbly texture in aged cheeses is normally attributed to the over acidification of the curd. And I can certainly attest to this personally.  :-[ So if you can post your recipe and procedure with as much detail as you think is appropriate I'm sure someone who is familiar with that recipe will chime in and be able to pinpoint the problem(s). Of special importance will be to know what kind of cultures you are using. How much of the culture you are using per unit of milk. How long you are ripening, prior to renetting.

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
great pointers from Rudy- I agree.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »
Ageing can really help with the dry & crumbliness (word?).  I made a cheese in August 2009 that I cracked open in January 2010.  It was very dry, crumbly, and mild in flavor.  I don't have a cheesecave yet, so I just put it in a plastic bag and threw it in the veggie drawer of my spare fridge and forgot about it.  Until Christmastime this year when I was looking for a sharp cheese to grate into my cheese dip.  The previously dry cheese had formed a moldy crust on it (very little rind, surpisingly) and was now very flavorful, no longer dry, but had a creamy texture to it.

Patience truly is key.
I had to reread this several times. My first and second reactions were "Huh?", then "Wow!" Ordinarily cheeses that are given this "aging" treatment by my wife or me wind up in the garbage after they are noticed. The perception is that the mold has completely taken over the cheese and it's just...bad. From now on, I will investigate a little further before I summarily dump a potentially prime cheese.

Thanks for that unique aging tip, Karen.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
I have to admit that I was very dismayed when I saw a bunch of my cheeses getting very moldy, but I just didn't have the heart to feed them to the pigs and chickens.  I didn't have a vaccuum sealer at that time, so just kind of put them away because I didn't want to deal with them yet.  Not having a cheese cave, either, I just didn't really know what to do and was rather sad about it.

A good result from procrastination, for once!

Mersunwea

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 07:57:23 PM »
Hi Dennis Mc,
I have been making cheese for a little over a year, and I try to make a cheese every 15 days min. My hard cheese tend to be crumbly and dry as well. Until the last one I opened (Pyrenees with peppercorns) that is very crumbly, bitter and water came out when I opened it (so dissapointing). I got in the forum wise suggestions about curd size. In my case, I just use a knife to cut the curds, and later a whisk, and I am not sure I am doing that right. Maybe this happens to you as well?
Welcome to the forum, is really a great one thanks to the Old Cheeses :-)

BigCheese

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
I'm with Rudy... if you post a recipe that will be best. There are really quite a few things that it could be, but showing a spcific recipe you will get a better sense (and waste less time and money) than troubleshooting from scratch on your own. Home cheesemaking books are by and large insufficient without some more background knowledge.

kenjin

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
it could be many things which have been mentioned here:

My thoughts are:

Over acidifying maybe left too long before salting and acid has built up, this is where a PH meter is a must. (most likely cause IMHO)
Cutting curd too small.
Not being gentle enough with the curds resulting in curd shatter.
Too long air drying
Wrong temperature during production and/or in storage
Under-pressing, which would not necessary lead to crumbly cheese but to sour tasting cheese because of access whey inside the body of the cheese.

Just for you info,
We produce a Lancashire cheese which is left to acidify over night,  The result is a tangy crumbly cheese that can be eaten within 3-4 weeks.. Its lush! We are supplying a few stores with it now.