Author Topic: Another Mozzarella Post! (Cultured and Non-Cultured Questions)  (Read 347 times)

Offline AnnDee

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 90
  • Default personal text
Re: Another Mozzarella Post! (Cultured and Non-Cultured Questions)
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
I am going through my pictures to try and look for low PH stretched curd and I couldn't find it, but this is a picture of a stretch curd on correct PH (around 5.0). My mozzarella curd usually stretch without being grainy until PH 4.9, I try to stretch when the PH around 5.0 (or as close to it as possible).
Ann

Online Rain Frances

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
Hi Ann :)

My big problem is I don't have the tools for checking the PH (yet!!! I ordered a meter today). I guess it's hit and miss for me at this point. Thanks for letting me know about the low PH. My 30-minute Mozzarella is always nice and stretchy and shiny...this one, not so much, but I'm going to check again tomorrow. If this doesn't work, I won't make another until I can properly read the PH. I hope it's successful this time too but my hopes aren't up too high! :)

Online Rain Frances

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 08:06:58 PM »
Oh Ann, I love that photo! I hope I have one to show you tomorrow! :)

Online Rain Frances

• Medium Cheese
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 03:27:25 PM »
Well, attempt number 4 failed. Sigh, **wiping a tear**

What could have slightly been a stretch last night, turned into a ricotta today. Oh well, that's okay. I still won't give up, but I will wait for my PH meter before I waste any more milk! I wonder if there is anyone out there who has ALWAYS had a good recipe, a good result and Mozza-pride! :) If you are there, please let me know! Ha ha.

Offline AnnDee

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 90
  • Default personal text
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 06:24:40 PM »
Rain, which recipe and what type of milk did you use?
Use as fresh as you can for mozzarella, definitely non homogenised milk. I used yoghurt or buttermilk as my culture before and it worked well as long as I use good milk (I use raw milk). The difference will be on the temp during the make, higher when I use yoghurt and lower when I use buttermilk.
Ann

Online Rain Frances

• Medium Cheese
Hi Ann,

For the milk, I really have zero choice, I have to use grocery store milk. It's 3.25% pasteurized and homogenized. Unless you own a cow or know someone with a farm, you're stuck, like me! It's a local company so it's the freshest I can get. There is conflicting opinion/advice about using Calcium Chloride to help with the effects of pasteurization and homogenization. I've tried with and without, neither made much of a difference in the end.

My Cheddars and my Dry Jack all worked perfectly with the milk I have, and so did my Quick Mozzarella...but the traditional style has something against me lol!

The culture I use is Thermophilic direct set and the recipe I used the last time was from Gianaclis Caldwell's blog: Traditional Mozza Recipe but I've also used the New England Cheese Making Company's Cultured Mozza Recipe.

I do have buttermilk culture and I have some yogurt culture on the way. The yogurt culture is labeled "sweet yogurt culture".

If you have any advice, I'm listening! :)
Rain