Author Topic: 1st whack at Traditional Mozzarella  (Read 95 times)

Offline AeonSam

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
1st whack at Traditional Mozzarella
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:09:07 PM »
Hello all,

I tried making Traditional Mozz last night using Caldwell's recipe (Let me know if I should post it)

I used 4 gallons of Raw Milk

She doesn't provide a floc multiplier so I used 3.5 and cut the curds at 1/2 inch.

Also, I only had TA61 and LH100 on hand so I used an 1/8 of a tsp of both

I found that the ph was very slow to drop until being warmed over the whey

I run into different ph goals on the Web. Some say 5.2 and some say 5.0(Linuxboy) I went with 5.18 and I got a decent stretch. I would say an 80% stretch. It wasn't perfect.

So I put the curds in 170F whey with 6 tsp of salt nevertheless, the mozz came out bland and tough. I believe that everything went correctly until I heated the curds in the whey bath. I was also pretty rough with the stretching and kneading which I will correct next time.

Does anyone have a decent plan for how much salt and whey/water to heat the curds in? Also, I placed these knobs in a light brine but I'm not sure if that's the best choice. Any tips?

Sam
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 09:17:25 PM by AeonSam »

Online Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 10
  • Default personal text
Re: 1st whack at Traditional Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:29:26 PM »
From what I've read, 3 oz of salt per gallon of water. After using that to stretch during my make, it still seemed light on the salt so I dry salt to add more. Since it is a fresh cheese, it really isn't functionally necessary (or so I've read) and it is best to salt to taste!

I've seen recipes call out for brining after post stretch cooling as well. I've tried that method, but the salt didn't go all the way through and just left them not so great.

I've also tried the light brine and didn't care for it, so I go with plastic wrapping them (another method of storage in different recipes).

All of these are purely from experience, so take any and/or all of it with a grain of salt....  (get it?)  ;)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 190
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
Sam, I'd call that a great first effort on a very difficult cheese - AC4U!
-- Andy

Offline AeonSam

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »
Thanks Scarlett and I do get it  ;)

You're in the right place for puns and wordplay. Andy is a forum pun-smith here so you're right at home.

I saw a video with a master mozzarella maker and he just throws salt on top of the curds. I just wonder about the ratios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_VoyWfLfY

Thanks Andy, I was expecting a bigger failure but was pleasantly surprised. Next time I will start in the morning as I went to bed at 6:30 am and had to get up at 7:30  :-\