Author Topic: Looking for pressing weights for Asiago recipe?  (Read 1720 times)

Scarlet Runner

Looking for pressing weights for Asiago recipe?
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
I'd like to try an Asiago this weekend ( http://deejaysworld.net/deejayssmokepit/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1200537380).  Anybody know what weight I should use for the pressing steps 12 and 13?  It looks like it says to press for an hour or two (while flipping) and then finally press overnight, but I'm not sure about what weight.  Any hints about weight or psi would be great. ( I plan to make a 4 gallon cheese and press in a 6 inch mold).   :)

Also not sure about brining- if the recipe means to brine for 5 hrs per lb cheese, or brine for 24 hrs plus an extra 5hrs per lb....

Cheers!

cheezwhizz

Re: Looking for pressing weights for Asiago recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 09:44:43 PM »
   Dont want to answer for DJ but ive used this recipe and the cheese turned out well.

Pressing was..under "warm" whey,15 mins @ 10 lb...flip and redress...15 mins @ 20 lb....then dry press 12 hours @ 50 lb.   The mold i use is 6.5" diameter.

The 24 hours she refers to, is the time between when you add the starter cultures to make and the time you start to brine. by waiting 24 hours you are giving the cultures a chance to work before killing them off with the salt...This is important in order to get the flavor of the Asiago.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:24:10 PM »
Many thanks cheezwhizz-

So you press under your warm whey, meaning it's still around 116F at that point for the first lighter presses?

I would never have figured out the 24 hour thing- thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense to wait a little more time for the bugs to play. 

I look forward to trying this recipe- thanks again for your guidance!

cheezwhizz

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
 Yep...Exactly. Keep the whey at or a little lower then the final make temp.  If you've never tried this you'll be amazed at what a tight knit and smooth rind you'll get...Also. This recipe makes a great Peppato if you add a little lipas and some black pepper corns.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 01:51:40 AM »
MUCHAS GARCIAS cheezwhizz.  And, thanks DJDebi for sharing the recipe. I am looking forward to trying this cheese next!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »
Sorry I have been going crazy this year making salamis and other meats but I often either use Large #10 cans of tomatoes or refill 1 gallon milk jugs with whey or water for pressing.

Scarlet Runner

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:19:29 AM »
Thank you Debi.  I have been going crazy in my garden so I know the feeling. When I get back to cheese in the Fall this one is on the top of my list.