Author Topic: Curd knife curd knife curd knife - refrigerator shelving???  (Read 6749 times)

humble_servant7

Re: Curd knife curd knife curd knife - refrigerator shelving???
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 10:47:48 PM »
Personally I like option #2.

sstrantz

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 12:23:58 AM »
I had been approached in the past from Ricki at New England Cheese making Supply, and Steve at The Cheesemaker.com about supplying knives for their web stores, but never took took the time to develop a product for them, usually just to busy. This week  I am in Vegas at the Int. Pizza Expo, researching the idea of making Mozzarella cutters that they use over a bowl of hot water before stretching.  I would like some feedback on the following ideas, these are actually items I have built in the past.

1. A square frame wired one direction that you could use to cut both directions? Just turn it 90 degrees.
2. A frame with notches cut every 1/4" so the end user could string it themselves with fishing line. Could be wired 1/4", 1/2" 3/4" ect?
3. A frame wired horizontally with one half 1/4" cut and the other half 1/2" cut?

Any thoughts?

Thanks, terry@dairy fab

Terry –
I have also contacted you in the past about these.  I use the 3 gal. and 5.5 gal stainless steel “soup pots” for my cheese making.  It would be great to get ONE knife that would work with both sizes.  That would require the height to be tall enough for the 5,5 gal pot.

I think your option number 2 could work for that.  I like option 1, but I don’t see how it could be tall enough for a pot without being too wide for the horizontal when turned. 

I know I would purchase one if you can come up with a good option that isn’t too expensive.  If I like it, I would also have a market to sell more through my small business if you are willing.

Hope to see a what you come up with soon!

PollyG

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:40:22 AM »
I like option #3, myself.  At the volume I work at (2 or 4 gal at a time), the vertical cuts are easy enough to do with a regular knife.  It's the horizontal cuts that are difficult.

Another option would be selling sets of 2 frames, each wired at 1/2" spacing, that could be locked together somehow, in an offset pattern, so that when together they cut at 1/4".  If this setup could also be made so that you could use it for horizontal plus vertical cuts, you'd be totally set for any situation.