This Board is for Members who are interested in making or who make Pressed Cheddared
These cheeses represent the world’s largest manufactured cheese segment and are typified by Cheddar Cheese originating from England. Some of the general characteristics of the segment are:
- Water content 34-42%.
- Fat in dry matter 20-60%.
- Salt content in cheese 1.5-2.5%.
- Acidification to allow cheddaring process.
- Dry salted after milling prior to press.
- Pressed to obtain a closed rind.
- Usually vacuum packed or barreled.
General procedures and control points can be found in Culture Manufacturer CHR Hansen's Cheddar Cheese Brochure posted in the Library Board.
Some Cheddared (Milled) Type Cheeses sorted by origin are:
- England: Cheddar, Cheshire, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester.
- USA: American Cheddar, Colby, Monterey Jack.
In addition to this board there are Recipe (Ingredients, Directions, Tricks & Traps, & Pictures) webpages on this subject on the Recipe Area of CheeseForum.org website