Author Topic: Cheddar for the win !!  (Read 82 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 146
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Cheddar for the win !!
« on: September 17, 2017, 01:40:08 AM »
It is most used type of cheese and most underwhelming when done commercially.  After you have made it like this there I no going back. 

Here it my make sheet

and a few photos..

1. My milk
2. My Gear

If there are any questions I'm happy to Help... PM me ! ... Have a look at my other make to see the rest of the photos.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
Re: Cheddar for the win !!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
I agree with what you said Mal...actually the poor quality of Cheddar is why I started my cheese making journey in July. I have five Cheddars aging in my cave at the moment! I like your worksheet! I take lots of notes, but I keep mine in a little notepad aptly titled "Rain's Cheese Making Journal" lol! :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 146
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 04:21:09 PM »
You cant take enough notes - There are a mess of them on the back of the sheet - I keep all my sheets in a folder.  I'm also going back to the Cloth banding maturing method. While vac bagging works it creates Calcium Lactate crystals to form on the outside of the cheese and something - a slight nuttiness is missing. So, I going back to the traditional method of covering my Cheddar.

-- Mal 
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Rain Frances

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
    • Rainy Day Cheese Making
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 07:54:16 PM »
That's interesting, because I was wondering about doing that as well, but I don't know if I have the space for it, or if my little "college dorm fridge" (aka the cheese cave) could handle that. But maybe I'm worried for nothing. I read that mold can travel to other cheeses and even inside the fridge using that method? Not sure if that's true or not.

I remember reading a post (I think written by you?) about how to wrap with cheesecloth using lard. It really sounds like something I would like to try if I could pull it off. Would you do that only for Cheddars?