Author Topic: Brew-Curds Cheddar  (Read 129 times)

Offline Stinky

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
Brew-Curds Cheddar
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »
So on Tuesday I made the Brew-Curds Cheddar from Mary Karlin's book. And I only messed a few things up! ;)

-2 gallons milk
-1/2 tsp. Meso II
-1/4 tsp. annatto
-1/2 tsp. CaCl2
-1/2 tsp rennet
-1 12-oz bottle dark ale or stout
-1 tbsp kosher salt

• Heat the milk to 88ºF, got it so far.
  • Put in starter, ripen for 45.
  • Annatto, calcium chloride, and rennet; 45 minutes. I was going to do the floc bowl, but didn't remember to check in time, so I went by clean break.
  • Cut the curds to 1/2 inch and let it sit for 5 20 or so minutes
  • Slowly raise the temperature to 102ºF over 40 minutes, stirring.
  • Leave them at 102ºF for 30 minutes, without, and I emphasize without, letting the temperature getting up to 140ºF.
  • Drain the curds for 10 minutes
  • Let them become a slab over hot whey, flipping every 15 minutes for an hour.
  • Cut them up into 2-inch by 1/2 inch strips...
  • Soak them in ale for 45 minutes...
  • Be unsure how much you're supposed to break them up so break them up a bit more every ten minutes or so while they're soaking.
  • Break them up small, drain and place in brick-shaped mold (it fits in the small ripening containers) and press with ten pounds, more or less according to the recipe...
  • Curds don't seem to be knitting well, so check Cheeseforum and up weight to 30 lb, hoping that letting the temperature get too high won't ruin the cheese completely.
  • The cheese seems to be coming together more, but up pressure to 40 lb and finish pressing, for a total of 14 hours or so.
  • Seems to be acceptable apart from a few small cracks and bits that can be waxed over, so out it goes to dry.
  • After 13 hours seems dry enough, and gets a half coat of cream wax.
  • The next morning the other side gets cream wax.

The drying time seems a tad short in retrospect, but it did feel dry to the touch and I'll be going out of town tomorrow, so there really isn't too much leeway.
cheeeeeeeeeeesssseeeeee....

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Online John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 39
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
Re: Brew-Curds Cheddar
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
Hi Stinky.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and you deserve a cheese for it's entertainment value :).  It looks like you had a tough time wrestling this make to the ground but from the looks of it you succeeded.  I did this same recipe a year ago but my make was much more boring!  Please let us know how this comes out!

Offline Stinky

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
Oh, and for clarification that half-gallon in the reduced fat jug is whole milk, but placed there during a previous make as it takes up less room.
cheeeeeeeeeeesssseeeeee....

Offline Anonymous

• Sailing The Seas of Cheese
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 52
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:54:16 PM »
Welcome to the boards, Stinky! Nice cheese! I really like the seeing the progression of your pressing.

Well done!!!