Author Topic: Bought Abiasa liquid Rennet and directions look off.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Bought Abiasa liquid Rennet and directions look off.
« on: February 26, 2011, 09:20:40 PM »
Hi,

I was out and about today,stopped and bought some liquid rennet today(only one place in Edmonton that sells any rennet).  I have only dealt with with microbial Valerian rennet and mixed my own.  I have never used this particular product before.

It was Abiasa Rennet (60ml)  Pressure Concentrated.  (It did not say what type, so I checked their website and they only sell calf and microbial rennet so I think it is Calf  but I am going to email them to find out)

OK I will get to the point of my post.  I read the directions on the bottle and they seem off to me.  I know this is there product and they should know, but I am hoping some one has used this product before.

The directions say use 5 drops in 1 tablespoon of water for every 1 litre of milk.(I love the mix of imperial and metric by the way)

So by this logic if i am doing a 14 litre batch then I would have to use 70 drops in 14 tbsp (200ml) of water.  This seems somewhat excessive doesn't it?

I would appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks
Ian
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:28:44 PM by pliezar »

Offline PFFParra

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Bought Abiasa liquid Rennet and directions look off.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »
Look (or ask) for the rennet strenght in IMCU (International Milk Ctotting Units). It will be much more easy to determine the right ammount of rennet without having to measure the volume of spoons, teacups or whatever.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Re: Bought Abiasa liquid Rennet and directions look off.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »
 :oI forgot about this post, thanks I have been doing trial and error.  I will again email them