Author Topic: My first Swiss!  (Read 159 times)

Online awakephd

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 24
  • Default personal text
My first Swiss!
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
I just opened my first Swiss-style cheese. The picture below shows the result. It was only a 2-gallon make, so not very large. I followed the recipe in the Ricki Carroll book, but used 1/8 tsp of TA061, 1/8 tsp of PS, and 1/16 tsp of LH100. I made it on 4/11/14, so it is just over four months old -- aged a bit over three months since the eye-formation phase. I know that is pretty much the minimum for aging this style, but I am between other cheeses being ripe, and I wanted to try this before making any more.

I am pleased with the result. It came out of the wax rather greasy on the surface, but otherwise the paste was quite firm and smooth. The holes were not large, but I thought they weren't bad considering the small make. Best of all, it definitely tastes like Swiss -- not necessarily the best Swiss I've ever tasted, but much better / more flavor than some I've had. And that is immediately after opening it -- may be even better after it breathes a bit?

Now that I have confirmation of the make, I definitely need to make some more ... maybe several more, so that I can manage to keep some for much longer aging!

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Reflector

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: My first Swiss!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:58:51 AM »
What a festive looking cheese. Well done!

Online awakephd

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »
Just a follow up -- this has continued to be a really good cheese. It did get even better after breathing a bit. Now I've got to find time to make some more, to start aging again ...

Offline Spoons

• Sailing The Seas of Cheese
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 46
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
Nice Emmentaler!

A cheese for you for a successful cheese!
- Eric

Online awakephd

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
Thanks! A local chef tried some and pronounced it very good, so I count that as a huge success. :)

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.