Author Topic: Appenzeller Style  (Read 48 times)

Online GortKlaatu

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Goat milk?
Appenzeller Style
« on: October 20, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
So it was the old dilemma of what cheese to make today.  I decided to try an Appenzeller style. I've never actually tasted one though.
So I researched this website: http://appenzeller.ch/en/production#a-closely-guarded-secret/756/gallery and based the make on Dixon's recipe. While I do use raw milk, it is goat's milk, so that always affects how things go when you're using a cow milk recipe. (Like the floc time turned out to be about half of what was predicted. Ugh)
My girls only eat fresh grasses (no silage) just like the moo-babies do in Appenzell. The content of the grasses affect the taste of the milk.  And since they say the cows are eating "fresh herbal grasses" and since Appenzeller is called "the spiciest cheese in Switzerland" in addition to the herbal brine wash I'll be using, I decided to infuse the milk with some "other things." 
Call me crazy, but here's what I did.  I infused 1/2 cup of water with a mix of: allspice, peppercorn, celery seed, herbs de Provence, cloves, fennel, nutmeg. Now don't get all worried--just a tiny bit of each. Still trying to decide exactly what I'll do about the brine wash, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna use a fruity white wine base.
I'll keep you posted. Obviously it WON'T be an authentic Appenzeller but maybe it will be something akin and tasty.
Wish me "buena suerte" (good luck.)
Still need to come up with a good name for it.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Online GortKlaatu

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Goat milk?
Re: Appenzeller Style
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 03:02:49 PM »
Well shoot!  I was planning to hoop it up at pH of 6.5--it was acidifying fairly slowly and then BAM--it was suddenly at 6.41.
So I hurried it to the mold. 

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.