Author Topic: My 2nd Caerphilly  (Read 9242 times)

JeffHamm

My 2nd Caerphilly
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
Hi,

Ok, trying a caerphilly again.  Adjusted my rennet amount from my last make, where I had a floc time of 7:30, and this time hit a floc of 14 min.  I'm going with a 3x floc for cut time (42 minutes, whereas the recipe indicates 40 min, so that seems like I'm on target).  This is my first make basing things on floc times, so I'm curious to see how things go.  fingers crossed.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

Re: My 2nd Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 12:05:11 AM »
Ok, so I cut at the target time indicated by my floc time.  I was worried what the curd would be like because I've always waited for a "clean break", and that seems to take much longer.  However, I was pleased that the resulting curd seems pretty good.  Whey is clear, and the curds haven't disintigrated.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:20:30 AM »
Well, not too bad.  My ability to do things like stack and flip, and mill, etc, is not great, so I tend to get off the time line at this phase.  However, I was able to get the curds into the mold and I'm now "pressing in the pot" to see if I can get a better internal knit then I did last time.  Last time my rind was good, nice and closed, etc, but internally there were a large number of mechanical holes.  Want to see if things improve this time around. 

Anyway, once I get a pressed cheese, I'll post a photo.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
Ok, and now it's out of the press.  The rind has sealed up pretty good, with just a few spots where there are white hairline indications that the curds didn't knit completely.  I've used a different sized mold from the first one (this is smaller in diameter).  Also, this mold is plastic while the other was just a stainless steel steamer pot.  Finally, I increased the press weight for overnight, and this expelled more whey. The final weight out of the press is 1.306 kg.  Not bad.  The first one I made was abuot 1.5 kg, but that used a higher fat creamline milk, while this time the milk was a bit lower fat, and homogenised. 

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with this one.  The other is down to a 1/4 slice.

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 06:17:50 PM »
you have a good looking cheese there John, I think I am going to have to make a Caerphilly real soon.  I am Glad to see that I am not the only one who uses chop sticks for drying racks.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
Thanks pliezar,

Still need to work on my cheesecloth wrapping in the mold.  Still getting fairly large creases in the cheese when it comes out.  The chop sticks are great, though I'm going to pick up some plastic ones I think.  The bamboo ones will probably end up retaining some sourness as whey will soak into them and they will be harder to clean properly.  I've changed the make on this one a bit from the last time (i.e. used floc method this time, heavier press, etc).  Last time I also brined it, but since I add 2.5 tbls of salt after milling, it probably doesn't require a brining as well.  I'll build up the outer rind with a brine washing every couple days once it goes into the cave though. 

The first one was good, though quite salty.  It didn't get much of a chance to age (opened it at 3 weeks), but it was good.  It's got a sour tange to it, but I hear that it changes quite a bit if you age it for a few months.   

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:19 PM »
Still need to work on my cheesecloth wrapping in the mold.  Still getting fairly large creases in the cheese when it comes out.

I hear you, most of my cheeses look like they are frowning.  I just bought 4m of cheesecloth so I can have a better fit.

The first one was good, though quite salty.  It didn't get much of a chance to age (opened it at 3 weeks), but it was good.  It's got a sour tange to it, but I hear that it changes quite a bit if you age it for a few months.

You would have more patience than me, I am still having a trouble not cracking open my Gouda after 3 weeks.  I will have to bear that in mind, you should have a different taste with adding the salt in milling.

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
Yah, I make this one to help keep me patient!  In my cave I've got a gouda, which I want to age 9 months.  A Sage Wenslydale, which I want to age 3 months, and a Manchego, which is targeting 4 moths.  In order to prevent me from going into a feeding frenzy, I make Caerphilly because I can open it any time after 3 weeks and have a good tasting cheese.

With the first one I salted during milling and then brined it as well.  That was probably overdoing it, so this should be slightly less salty.  I tried to keep the curds warm after milling (pressed in the pot), but the initial press is quite light on this (5 kg, or about 11 lbs), so it was quite "loose" looking until after the over night press.

If you're looking for a recipe, I think I posted the one I follow in the thread about my first make. 

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:20:08 PM »
How much did you adjust the rennet? (If you said, I missed it.)

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:39:38 PM »
First time I made it I used 0.8 ml of rennet, but I hadn't tried the floc point.  When I made a Manchego, I used 0.9 ml, and found the floc at about 7:30, which is too short.  So, this time I just used 0.6 ml, and that's got me in the 12-15 minute zone.

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Thanks. I'm starting a small (1 gal.) batch now, with no expectations.

My ggrandfather was from Wales... just seemed like a thing to try.

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
I'm sure it will go well.  I'm using a vegetarian/kosher/halal rennett, which suggests 0.7 ml for 10 L.  I was using a bit more in other makes as I could never seem to get what I thought a clean break should be.  I thought I had to use a bit more for Homogenised and Pasturised milk, etc.  Anyway, use whatever amount of rennet works in your situation (or just go by what's on the package if you're just starting out and haven't gathered any of your own data yet).

This isn't too complicated a cheese.  When it's young, it is salty and a bit sour.  Apparently it mellows out around 3 or 4 months.  I'm not sure I'll get one to last that long just yet though.  :)

I would be really interested in seeing how yours turns out.

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 09:12:17 PM »
Well, it's already in the mold, 2nd 10 minute press. I have photos but need to read up on how to post them.

Everything worked nicely on the make, best curd I've cut so far. However, I'm worried about how salty it tastes right now.

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
Hi,

Nice.  It is a salty cheese.  The Welsh miners' wives made this for them and they would take it down into the mines.  The salt was to help replace what they lost from sweating.  When young (3 weeks), it will retain a sourness, which apparently will mellow as it ages.  The rind is just a natural rind, built up from salt washes (again, increasing the saltiness!).  I think it's normally a bit dry and crumbly too, though my first one wasn't crumbly - firm but dry.

Anyway, to post photos, click the "Additional options" tag just below where you write your post.  Use the browse button (in the Attach option) and select the photo image you want to attach to the message. 

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:30 PM »
Okay, here's my small, first attempt... This morning when I took it out of the press, it weighed 664g.