Author Topic: My 2nd Caerphilly  (Read 9247 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 2nd Caerphilly
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »
Hi Steff,

I've recently been using Sailor's "pressing in the pot" suggestion.  Basically, after filling the mold with the curds, put the mold in a pot and put the pot in a sink of hot water.  The hot water bath warms up the pot, keeping the curds warm.  I use the same pot I used to make the cheese, since I've drained the whey into a different one.  And, I keep that pot in the warm sink while filling the mold (the milled curds are in it, so it keeps the curds warm as well as keeping the pot warm.  Then, do the first press with the mold in the pot that is sitting in the hot water.  Cover the pot, and you should have a nice warm environment which aids the knitting of the curds.  I've done this for a few cheeses now and it really seems to help. 

I think caerphilly is a fairly forgiving cheese.  I over salted the first make, and it was still good, and darius over salted his first make and cut it early, and his has turned out good too.  Keep an eye on it and it should turn out just fine.  Regardless, don't forget to post your tasting notes when you try it!

- Jeff

kookookachoo

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2011, 10:01:31 PM »
Hi, Jeff!

And you do the same, too.  I'm taking more notes on this, too.  I think I may have boo-boo'd the first one.  I didn't press it in the pot.  Pooh!  I don't have a mold, so when I drain in my colander, I just folded the cheese cloth around it, covered the pot, forgot to put any weight on top of it!!  I just looked over my notes..and sure 'nuff, that's what I did.  Crud.  Now I really feel like making #2 Caerphilly, just to make up for dorking the first one up! 

darius

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »
 Hey, Jeff... look at my photo under my name... I'm female, despite the name! A bit long in the tooth to be sure, but female nonetheless.  :)

Steff, I made a very adequate mold for caerphilly from 2 one-gallon berry buckets. There is a slight taper, but not much. I drilled holes in one, and removed the burrs with a single-edge razor blade. The second one fits nicely into the first one, and I usually fill it about 3/4 full with water, which is about 6 pounds, then more weights on top of that...

The lighting in photo with weights on top is poor, but you get the idea.

JeffHamm

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2011, 10:31:39 PM »
LOL, sorry darius, I just saw the name and didn't look any further. 

I really like the mold you made.  I'll have to have a search around for some similar buckets.  The one inside the other would help prevent developing a sloped top.

Oh and Steff,

my 2nd caerphilly has turned out very nice.  It has a slightly salty flavour, with a bit of a sour tang to it (because it's young I think), but also a nice mild cheese flavour as well.  It's smooth, not overly dry but not moist and creamy either, just a nice middle ground.  It goes well on crackers with olives and such, and I think would be nice with salamies and pastromi, etc.  Basically, I really like it and will certainly be making more of it.

- Jeff

kookookachoo

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 10:32:36 PM »
That's a good one!  I'm trying to wheedle my hubby into making me a couple of molds that are smaller than my stock pots (one is 3.75 gallon is what I mostly use for my cheeses).  Maybe if I show him this photo he'll relent!  ;D

darius

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
Jeff, I just gave you a cheese... and NOT for the apology, but for your encouragement and support!

JeffHamm

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:40 PM »
Thanks for the cheese!  I think this is a great board as there are so many people here at different levels of experience.  I'm fairly new to cheesemaking (having only made about 10 or so cheeses) myself, and I'm learning a lot from everyone.  I like how you're experimenting with the herbs and such, and how we're all comparing notes on how these cheeses are turning out.  It increases the fun of it all by sharing our successes and our not so successful results! :)

- Jeff