Author Topic: My first Camembert - and my first homemade cheese ever tasted!  (Read 2157 times)

Jessica_H

My first Camembert - and my first homemade cheese ever tasted!
« on: February 27, 2011, 12:16:59 AM »
I'm quite proud of my cheese  ;D

I've made 9 so far but this is the first one I've tasted.  It's only 6 weeks old but I had some friends edging me on to try it so I did.  It was super!  It was stronger than I expected...not quite a "blue" flavor but definitely a "stinky cheese" flavor.  The texture was creamy but held together...almost like a plastic texture.  It didn't melt in the mouth but was super spreadable.

These cheses didn't stay in the mold long enough so that's why they got so flat.  I'm wondering too if the holes in the pate (or is it paste) are mechanical?  Also, this particular cheese was dropped (So sad!!!) which is why it has the crack on the side and got to be opened first.

The other other oddity was there was a slight tang to the cheese on the tip of my tounge...not quite effervescent but that was the first word to pop in my head.  I have two other wheels to try later.  I was thinking again at 7 weeks and then 9?  Or something like that...

Uncut wheel

First slice!

After sitting on the counter for about 20 min.

MrsKK

Re: My first Camembert - and my first homemade cheese ever tasted!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »
I don't "know" Cam, but have to say that it looks like you're doing good.  That first taste of your own cheese is really special - I know it got me hooked.

tnbquilt

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 03:06:29 PM »
I am proud for you! I think the Camembert looks great. I have not tasted any of my cheese yet, but at I have made 6 and am waiting on them. I am so excited. One is supposed to be ready in about 10 days and I want to cut it now! Next weekend I am making Camembert. I am looking forward to it.

Congratulations!

megdcl

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
Glad for your success!! I love opening cheeses :) (that is, when they turn out! ;D).

CheeseSnipe

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 04:21:26 AM »
The tang might be from whatever stuck to it when you dropped it on the floor.  ;)

But seriously it looks really good inside. Mine end up too runny, too firm, or both. But I've got a few more batches to mature before I know if I've made any improvements.

Did you put in cheese cave or regular cold fridge?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 06:53:06 AM »
Looks delicious, Jessica. Nice and creamy.

It looks from the rind like you baked it. Is that blackening?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Jessica_H

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:09:56 AM »
Did you put in cheese cave or regular cold fridge?

I have a converted wine fridge.  It stayed at about 48 degrees with a fluctuation of +5 degrees and a humidity that was 85-95% consistently.

It looks from the rind like you baked it. Is that blackening?

I didn't...it's actually the mold...it's turning kind of a orange brown?  I read somewhere that might be normal as the Penicillin dies off?  I hope that's the case :)

I tried the cheese again and didn't detect the tang again but it definitely has a stronger flavor still.  I'll be curious to see how the other two taste in a week or two.