Author Topic: Finally...my new cave expansion!  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Finally...my new cave expansion!
« on: February 27, 2011, 03:30:49 AM »
Ah, now I have room to finally make some cheese! I was getting really cramped with that first cave. Maybe, since this is black, I'll go to the dark side and make some blues and cams. Dangerous territory.

The new addition actually has room for the minicaves (ripening boxes) that didn't quite fit in the other one (on top).

I'm working on wiring up a PID controller for this cave. It was a little cheaper than a Johnson controller, which the other cave has, plus it has the set temp and the actual temp displayed. Should be an improvement. The Johnson controller is all analog with no indication what the temps are.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

MrsKK

Re: Finally...my new cave expansion!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:15 PM »
Lookin' good!  Post another pic when you have that bottom fridge filled with cheeses from the dark side!

I'm planning on building a cheese cave soon.  Walk-in closet lined with shelves all around and an air conditioner to keep it cool.  Still have to research the temp controllers, though.  I'm planning on the walls being made of roofing metal, as I think that will hold up better to the humidity levels needed for cheesemaking.

Ain't it just the greatest fun?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »
Your proposed cheese cave closet sounds great!

Post pics of your progress so we can all drool.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 05:32:40 PM »
Karen,

If you are going to do an air conditioner, you need to look at a CoolBot. A "normal" temperature controller won't work because air conditioners usually won't cool below 62F any way. The CoolBot fakes out the AC into thinking it's warmer than it really is.

Here's a link on e-Bay:

CoolBot
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:55:55 PM by Sailor Con Queso »

Oude Kaas

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »
In the summer I have a coolbot controlling an air conditioner to cool my cave. Here are some words about it: http://heinennellie.blogspot.com/search/label/Coolbot

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Looks like the PID controller is not going to make it into this cave. I wired it up yesterday, finally figured out the obscure programming for it, hooked it up to the cave, and bam!...it blew the fuse I had installed in the box. It's supposed to be a 3A/250V circuit. The cave (mini-fridge) wants 1A so that should be within specs. What isn't published in the wannabe user manual are things like inrush current, etc. I could go ahead and hook up an SSR (Solid State Relay) to try to negotiate this obstacle, but I look at the Johnson controller (I may have bad-mouthed earlier) on the other cave and it's working just fine doing what needs to be done without all the complications that this little PID seems to be tossing my way.

So, for now, the PID gets sidelined and another Johnson is in line for this cave. What a hassle!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »
That's a bummer, Boof. I have that controller (and the lightobject SSR) on my cheese vat, and it's working great.  I am totally new to, and intrigued by, the PID world (already thinking of an RH controller of some kind).  I hope you find a better use for yours.
- Paul

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Thanks for the links, guys.  Sorry to hijack your thread, Boofer.  Bummer about your PID.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »
Today I ordered this one today. Eh, we live and learn. Perhaps I'll get it working down the road.

For now, I need a good, reliable controller.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!