Author Topic: Thermostat adjustment  (Read 1678 times)

Offline woodsman

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
Thermostat adjustment
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:58:28 AM »
I purchased a used upright store cooling case with glass door (Turbo Air brand), equipped with a mechanical thermostat. The beauty of it is that this type of a thermostat usually has a calibrating screw, which can be used to tweak the internal temperature to the desired range.

As I turned the screw clockwise a few turns and the compressor went off. I left the fridge running for an hour to stabilize the temperature and then turned it back half a turn at a time, pausing for an hour each time and taking the internal temperature - until I got it to run at 52 F with the main adjustment dial in "normal" position at all times.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to do with a household fridge where parts are squeezed tight and access panels are not easily removed by unscrewing a few sheet metal screws but this is as cheap a solution as you can find.

Cheese Head

Re: Thermostat adjustment
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:53:35 AM »
Thanks woodsman, good idea, never thought about a calibration screw on them, problem like you say is getting access to it!

KosherBaker

Re: Thermostat adjustment
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 06:16:22 AM »
Thanks woodsman, good idea, never thought about a calibration screw on them, problem like you say is getting access to it!
Or in my case being able to even identify it if I see it.  ;D :) :-[