Author Topic: Pressing Question: Weight vs PSI  (Read 14200 times)

sstrantz

Re: Pressing Question: Weight vs PSI
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
Also another question for Mike...you chose the 7" follower (for .26 @ 10lbs) as a standard.  Help me understand why. 

For example, if you look at .26 on a 6" follower that would be between 5-8 lbs.  So, How did you decide to start w/a 7" follower for the standard?

mikeradio

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »
Hey Leah's Mom

When you have a pneumatic (air) press, you have to feed it compressed air from a compressor or tank.  So when I say line pressure, that is the air pressure in the line feeding the air press.  My air press has a multiplier of 5 times, so if I apply 2 psi to the air press it multiplies by 5 and give me 10lbs press on the follower.  If I apply 100 psi to the air press it is 500 lbs.  If you don't have a air press you don't have to worry about line pressure.  My follower is a 7" so that is why I used an 7" in my example, there is no real standard when it comes to this, you have to calculate the psi and lbs based on the size of follower you use.  Hope this helps, this is always confussioning because most recipes do not state what size of follower they are using when they quote the press weights.  I think most assume a 4" follower, so if you use a 4" follower you can use there weights, but if your follower is a 6" you need to increase the press weight to match the same psi on the 4".

Mike

FarmerJd

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
Line pressure is a term used only when a pneumatic or hydraulic cylinder is used and is the pressure provided to the cylinder by the compressor or pump. How much force this cylinder exerts on the cheese under that pressure is dependent on the area of the air cylinder itself. The bigger the cylinder the greater the pressure it applies. Don't get this confused with the psi dynamics we all discuss when we are talking about dutch presses. It can really get confusing.

She is defintely referring to line pressure and she must have a 2.5" cylinder. The "multiplier of 5" is simply the area of the cylinder being used. In this case the cylinder is a 2.5" diameter cylinder. That means that you are multiplying the line pressure (2psi) by the cylinder piston area (4.9 sq in) to get the total force applied (9.8 pounds).

FarmerJd

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 04:44:01 PM »
My last post was redundant after Mike's post but I had already typed it so I posted it. Good response, Mike.