Author Topic: Asiago #2 Great Flavor but too hard  (Read 1978 times)

steampwr8

Asiago #2 Great Flavor but too hard
« on: March 01, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »
We cut our second Asiago last evening. It was one day under 80 days old.

It had a great nutty, salty flavor, intensely in the parmesian family.

My only complaint was that it was already hard and crumbly. It grated well, but as you can see it broke before it cut.

Any ideas as to why?

Oh, yeah, the pepperoni is home made too.

smilingcalico

Re: Asiago #2 Great Flavor but too hard
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:38 AM »
Please tell us the conditions of it's ageing space.  Seems at first glance that maybe humidity was too low, but the issue could have come during the make as well. Do you have any make notes? It still looks like a very appealing cheese!

steampwr8

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 12:04:47 PM »
The Asiago cohabited here with a Stilton and has been joined by others.  The cave has maintained a fairly constant 55 degrees and 85% Rh.

I washed the rind in salt brine two or three times a week.

I take many notes and have a batch log that I fill out as I go. I do see in my notes that the initial temperature was high at 100 degrees. The recipe I had called for 96 degrees.

Here it is in the cave.
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=5762.0;attach=10825

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:37 AM »
Dry and crumbly is probably a result of too much acidity.

smilingcalico

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:25:27 AM »
Hi Sailor, I thought I had read something like that.  Can you explain what is going on, what happens, does the acidity cause more whey to be released?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:20:24 AM »
Over acidification can be caused by several things.
  • Using too much starter
  • Ripening for too long
  • Waiting too long before draining
  • Waiting too long before hooping
  • Inadequate drainage before hooping, leaving too much whey in the pressing curd
  • Underpressing - not enough pressure and/or not pressing long enough - leaves residual whey
  • Waxing or vac bagging too early traps residual whey

Overcooking, especially thermophiles like Asiago, will contribute to dryness.

Acidity does not directly cause more whey to be released.

During the normal pH curve for most cheeses, the pH will be at its lowest a day or two after pressing. After that, the pH actually starts increasing and continues through affinage. However, if there is excess residual whey remaining in the pressed cheese, the bacteria still have food and the pH will remain at its lowest for longer. Paradoxically high acidity ultimately stalls the bacteria and the whole process becomes self-limiting. But, by then the long term moisture and texture of the cheese is already written in stone.