Author Topic: My First Havarti  (Read 1031 times)

flip.tiffy

My First Havarti
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:59:29 AM »
Used DeeJay's recipe (thanks DeeJay!).

Decided to use Florica Danica cultures for a 4 gallon raw milk batch. Looks like it turned out well, other than my usual failure of pressing tight-knit. Also I've uploaded my cheese cave thus far.. bunch of cheddar, also a cheddar using MM100  :o my havarti and also a pepper jack.

Cheers!

smilingcalico

Re: My First Havarti
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:31:50 AM »
Hey Philip, good looking cheeses. When you cut open the cheeses are you noticing poor curd knit in the interior as well, or mostly exterior? At least with vacuum sealing you won't have to worry abou mold issues with the rind. Were you able to find any cheese work?

flip.tiffy

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
Hey Brian, I'm noticing the inside of the cheeses I'm making are knit almost perfect with the occasional mechanical holes so it's definitely an exterior issue. I've tried the pressing in pot scenario with not a lot of luck. I do press naked, so I'm wondering if that would help cause the problem.

Never found any work, I'm taking your advice and just work from home  8)

smilingcalico

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
Ah, pressing naked!  That's almost certainly the issue (the cheese is shrinking back from your manhood!).  But seriously, you should try pressing with cheesecloth for a smoother rind, it is almost certainly the issue.