Author Topic: New member from Brooklyn Connecticut  (Read 1277 times)

ACMEBLISSFARM

New member from Brooklyn Connecticut
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:17:08 AM »
Hello everyone,
My name is Eric and I have a small farm in Brooklyn Ct. We have had animals for over 6 years. We mainly raise pigs for market. We don't give any antibiotics or castrate our pigs. We try and keep it natural. Our pigs for the most part have woods and pasture. We also have chickens and ducks.
Last year we decided to try our hand at goats, and in may should have some kids and some milk. The milk will be for us to drink and make cheese. I also have access to fresh cow milk right up the road!
In my spare time (like I have any) I like to watch the Boston bruins,play with my kids, and relax with my wife, and on a rare occasion I turn stone on my lathe.
I am a huge cheese fan and am very interested in making cheese. I bought a small 4in press. I am looking at getting a double boiler for heating the cheese,or should i use something else? I was wondering how big of a double boiler do I need to do a 4in wheel? I'm sure each cheese is different, just looking for a ball park figure so I don't under size it.
Looking forward to this forum and what every one has to offer.
Thanks
Eric Penkauskas
acmeblissfarm.com

Cheese Head

Re: New member from Brooklyn Connecticut
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »
Howdy Eric, welcome!

4 in diameter wheel is 1-2 us gallons milk batch depending on height, rule-of thumb is 1 US gallon = 1 lb of pressed cheese, there's some info in the Wiki: Milk Yield article.

Also, FYI in the Forum FAQ's board is a How To add a clickable link to your farm in your signature line.

Have fun!

darius

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
Wow, Eric, those stones are incredible! I had no idea anyone could turn stones on a lathe.  :)

Welcome to cheesemaking from another noobie, and good luck kidding soon.

Alex

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
Welcome Eric,

For a 4" wheel you'll need about 1-1/3 gallons (5 liters) of milk.

george

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
Welcome Eric!  I spend a lot of time bopping back and forth around Sterling - I think I might be interested in some of your pig! 

This is an absolutely fantastic forum, I've learned more from these folks in month than I did on my own in a year, so have fun with it!