Author Topic: Custom Mold  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Custom Mold
« on: January 03, 2009, 03:52:43 AM »
So I'm at the point where I need some new molds for various reasons. First reason is I want to go bigger, second reason is I want the mold to be just a hoop so I can use my cutom follower. The follwer with my name in it has holes and will work as the follower and the bottom. After I press with initial weight I can turn the whole mold over follower and all and repress. The bottom will now be the top. That way my embossed follwer will stay in the same spot on the cheese, never leaving it, and thereby creating a perfect emboss.

I have a source online USplastics which sell food grade, smoother than plumber grade, PVC pipe in diameters up to 24". I need 8" and 12". I think, I will call Monday to find out, I would have to buy minimum 10' length of each. If this is the only solution I will see in any one here wants to go in with me, we can split the 10' length into 10 or more pieces. Remember the bigger the mold the more curds you need to stuff in. For a 12" diameter one I wouldn't go shorter than 12-15" high.

I've called USplastics about their food grade buckets. I could use the bucket and just cut off the bottom but almost all are slightly tapered. I don't want a tapered wheel. I've looked at restaurant supply stores and everywhere else I can think of.

If anyone has any ideas on where to find something round and 12" high and 8" in diameter and 12" diameter straight walled. Let me know. Has to be food grade of course. I have some stainless steel tubing that's 8" but I don't want to waste that expensive stainless on this, plus I need a few as Stilton stays in the mold for 5 days. I can get stainless cheap per pound no matter what the shape as scrap but they don't reopen until next week. Right now I'm just weighing my options.

chilipepper

Re: Custom Mold
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:04:04 AM »
This is funny you post this as I was going to start a very similar post this evening about wanting to see some 'homegrown' moulds.  I'm also looking for something in that 8 inch range.  I've really been eyeballing the canister isles at the stores for something there.  We have one at home that I have not been successful in lobbying my wife to part with.  It is just a little over 8" in diameter and stainless.  Has a nice rounded bottom and ready to be poked full of holes.

I've also looked through the USPlastics catalog for something to catch my eye but your right there is very little to choose from when you want straight walls.

I will be very interested to see what kind of projects people come up with under this post.

Thanks!

brent

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:49:25 AM »
what about tupperware type food canisters thay come in all different sizes and shapes just chop off the end  ;D ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:00:33 AM »
See that's what we need people who think INSIDE the box...LOL

Very good idea. I'll goto target tomorrow. The tall clear containers with the vacuum lids come to mind. Price is a concern and something that's 8 - 12" might still be a problem. But as I said I'm just going to go to target and BBB and stroll along the isles. I might ventrue across the bay and goto a walmart I have to go to harbor freight anyway.

brent

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
we kiwis are an inventive lot  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »
Let's see you created, Peter Jackson, Froto Baggins, Bilbo Baggins, Kiwi Fruit and Orlando Bloom, which led to the Orlando Blooming Onion which is served at Outback Steakhouse and Orlando Florida. Pretty impressive. We American's invented Paris Hilton, so we're going to hell.

brent

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 10:07:59 AM »
LOL very good we also beat the wright bros richard pearse flew first  link here but we stole the kiwi fruit off the chinese  :D :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 09:13:56 PM by brent »

Cheese Head

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »
Great thread, LOL!

My Dad calls Walmart the American version of Mecca! We have a new Walmart Supercenter opened 2 month ago near us, so very happy.

brent, FYI, to fix your hyperlinks, they need to look like [url =http://walmart.com]Walmart[/url] (without the sapc between url & =, I added that otherwise it would just appear to you as the link. I made a FAQ about it here. Good idea on tupperware!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »
What's funny is how ignorant the world is. People think that ONLY in this day and age news and history is skewed for media attention. Trust me history has been purposely misrecording to benefit the person writing it. The past is really not the past but a set of stories created by the advertising/marketers of the time.

Paul Revere wasn't the only person running around calling, "the british are coming". There was a gentlemen who had to ride 2 hours to tell of the same thing..anyway, it's a long story.

brent

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Great thread, LOL!

My Dad calls Walmart the American version of Mecca! We have a new Walmart Supercenter opened 2 month ago near us, so very happy.

brent, FYI, to fix your hyperlinks, they need to look like [url =http://walmart.com]Walmart[/url] (without the sapc between url & =, I added that otherwise it would just appear to you as the link. I made a FAQ about it here. Good idea on tupperware!

thanks i think i sorted the hyperlink issue now its a different set up to what i have used before