Author Topic: Cambozola - No Blue In Interior  (Read 1051 times)

simoncnx

Cambozola - No Blue In Interior
« on: March 03, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »
I made a batch of Cambozola,  got a nice bloom after 7 days
. poked holes, moved it to a cooler temp, good humidity (90%+)
Out of curiosity cut it in half today - absolutely no sign of the p.roq after 7 weeks.  Is there an obvious problem?

thanks for any advice

cheezwhizz

Re: Cambozola - No Blue In Interior
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
 Did you re pierce often after the initial piercings?..P Roqueforti needs plenty of air to grow..If you allow the mold to grow back over the top of the holes, it'll cut off the oxygen inside the cheese.   

simoncnx

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »
repoked as soon as the holes got covered over.  My only thought was that i did not let the curds drain enough before putting in the mould.  I use a colander and let the curds drain for 30 ins.  Will try 1 hour next time.  Anyway, having sliced the cheese in half (to make 2 round pieces) I gave the inner surface a dusting of p.roq again, put back together  and repoked.  Any chance that will work?

Brie

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »
I have had the same problem with the brie-like cheeses and p.roquefort. I have found the best results in draining the cheeses in cheescloth before molding (Ibelieve the p.roquefort is draining out with the whey if this doesn't happen). In addition, the p.candidum closes up the holes and doesn't allow oxygen in. When piercing, try leaving it out of it's box to allow oxygen in for half an hour every three to four days. As with all blues, this is the key. Good luck!