Author Topic: Teacher's Convention Project with the Boy or Our First Caerphilly  (Read 4766 times)

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
Well it is that time of year, where kids get two days off for Teacher's Convention, and my Son (5 turning 6) wanted to make a cheese one of the Days.  I know he is not patient like me so I suggested a Caerphilly as does not take time to rippen (or so I have read)

We started with 12L(3.25% Homogenized) in the Vat and warmed to 32 C and added mother culture and then let ripen for about 30 min. (Don't have the money for a pH meter yet) then added the Ca Cl2 and 3/4 tsp liquid calf rennet diluted in 1/4 cup water (floc time was around 6 min so I think I need to dilute more or add less rennet)  Still waiting to cut so here are some pictures to start.

JeffHamm

Re: Teacher's Convention Project with the Boy or Our First Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:42:16 PM »
Very cool pliezar!  If you are getting a floc of 6 min, then I would suggest next time cut the rennett down by 1/3 to 1/2.  Diluting it won't change things, you're still putting in the same amount of rennett. 

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your make as it goes along.  I've moved mine into the cave (yesterday), so it should be ready in about 2 weeks.  Oh, and check out Darius' post in my "2nd Caerphilly" thread (top of 3rd page).  Looks like caerphilly is becomming quite popular.  The recipe I've posted is from Greening of Gavin as well, so all the makes here that are using it all originate from there (but of course, even that one is a modified version from a book; Making artisan cheese, I think?).

Cool how the internet works. 

- Jeff

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

This is my first time using Calf Rennet, I was using microbial rennet before and sometimes it took forever to set.  I will have to cut the rennet next time.  It is in the press now for the first pressing.  I have some more pictures.

I actually used two different recipes to make this one.  I used the one from 200 easy to make cheeses and Greening of Gavin's recipe as well.  I watched his youtube video yesterday to see his.

I used the vat to stack the curd and keep them warm too.  I propped up the side with a measuring cup.  I kind of suck at stacking.

Cheers
Ian

darius

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:15:35 PM »
Whoooeee, Ian! Looks wonderful. :)

Love the turkey roaster vat... must make one for myself. Actually I went looking for one in 2 local stores yesterday just to see one in person; must be available only before Thanksgiving. However, I do have a PID and all the trimmings on order, for a cave. I'll need another set for a vat, and yet another set for a meat fermenter. Just more $$ out the wazoo for my passions, LOL.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:43:23 PM »
Thanks darius,

I read a post in the equipment section about the roaster, my sister in law had one and she did not use it, so she gave ti to me as a Birthday present.  It has an insert that I use to put the milk in, and the base I put 6 cups of hot water and used it as a water bath.

This was the first real test for it, It held the temperatures great and I was able to manage it by using the "warming" portion of the dial.

The recipe says to keep in the press for 16 hours on the final press, that would mean I could pull it out around 4 am, I think it is going to stay in the press until I get up instead.

Ian

darius

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:45:45 PM »
LOL, that's exactly what I did with my first one... took it out of the press when i got up (after the bathroom visit and feeding the cats, of course).

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »
Looks good!  My stacking isn't very good either.  I stacked in the pot to keep them warm too.  Is there much difference between the recipies (is the one from 200 much different from Gavin's?).  Will be interested to see how these turn out.  A shame we weren't all near each other to share a taste, just to see how similar they are, and how they differ.

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 12:40:36 AM »
Hi Jeff,

There are two main differences in the recipes and a few minor ones

1.  200 cheeses does not have the stacking/chedaring that Gavin has

2.  200 cheeses does not add salt to the milled curd, but she does have you brine it for 20 hours flipping once after 10 hours.  And no salting during pressing.

3.   Obviously the rennet is off a bit, and the "cooking" temperature is 35C on the 200 cheese and Gavin has it 33.

I went with her temperatures and his salting and pressing times (she was vague as to final press time)

yes it would be interesting to try each version well if you are ever in Alberta I can hook you up.

Ian

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 01:09:06 AM »
Thanks pliezar.  I've wondered if Gavin's cooking temp is a typo.  A raise from 32 to 33 seems relatively minor, though it could make a difference.  I suspect it should be 32 to 35.  Gavin does indicate he's added his own modifications to the make, and I wonder if the stacking was his idea?  A shame he doesn't post here.

I've not used calf rennet either, but when my floc time was around 7.5 minutes, Sailor suggested I cut it down to around half.  I think I cut it down from 0.9 to 0.6, so about 1/3 rather than 1/2 (I use a vegetarian rennet that says 0.7 ml for 10 litres; I was using more as I didn't think I was getting a good set, but I think that was inexperience over-riding the instructions! :) )

I'm from Nova Scotia originally!  Moved to New Zealand in 1997 for a job.  I have relatives out your way.  small world! (Well, whenever I fly home I realise it isn't! ha!)

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
So the end is near, well part one is done.  It is out of the press, I happend to be up at 6:30 this morning so I thought he why don't i get it out of the press.  So I took it out and set it up to dry and went back to bed until 11.  I had to trim a bit of the top to even it out, and I tried some of it, it didn't particularly taste salty maybe I will have to rub with brine.  I will see.

Too bad there are food export laws or we could start a Caerphilly of the Month Club.  Mind you with the price of milk here I might have to buy a cow or a goat.  My lease says no cats or dogs so I smell a loop hole.

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:54:36 PM »
Hi Pliezar,

Very nice looking cheese!  I gave you a cheese for it (and because you did it with your son).  A brine wash will help build up the rind as well, so it's a good idea.  I suppose we'll all just have to settle for a virtual cheese of the month! :)

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

And thanks for turning me on to Caephilly in the first place.  My son is really excited and has marked the date on his calendar when the first 21 days is up.  I think I have found a spot in my kitchen that has a good air flow and should dry nicely.

If I like it I think it might be a welcome addition to the roatation.

Ian

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 08:54:21 PM »
Apparently, it changes character quite a bit if you age it for 3 or 4 months.  So, I've kept a 1/4 of my first one and will let that sit around while I wait for the 2nd to hit the 21 days.  I'm also trying a Romano now, which I'll let sit around for 6 months or so since I have enough other cheeses commong "online" between then and now.  Helps me with my patience.  Just not sure where in the chilly bin it will fit! :)

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
Ian, It looks really nice! Give that son of yours a cheese :)

I'm afraid my first one won't be edible.  :( When I wrote the recipe again today to list the quantities for a 1 gallon batch, I got a flash of adding salt to the curds in the first half-batch (1 gallon)... I forgot to cut the salt in half!

I didn't start the planned second batch today after all. Found an opportunity to get an apt. size refrigerator cheap, although I had to drive to Tennessee for it (about 75 miles). It will become my cave once the PID, etc. arrive. It's right nasty from being stored a long time but it will clean up. It's still in the truck as we are having torrential rains.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Ian
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
Thanks darius,

I think if my son had his way we would be into today.  I am glad you got your new cave, I call mine the "Igloo" as it is March 5 -19C (-2.2F) and has been snowing, what I wouldn't give for some rain.  I hope yours lets up.

I think I will invest in a Johnson Control for my little igloo, right now I have the freezer blocked off with Styrofoam egg cartons and the thermostat dial wedged into place with a bulldog clip.

You should still try it yours, or let it age for a bit see what happens you might get something that could go well in a salad or something.