Author Topic: Roquefort Recipe  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Roquefort Recipe
« on: January 03, 2009, 07:52:44 AM »
I've been looking for a roquefort recipe. Found one that is very vague, so I'll fill the gaps in from what I know about making blue type cheese.

2 Gallons Sheeps Milk
1/16 tsp. Blue Mold Powder
MA11 Mesophilic Direct Vat Innoculation (DVI)
1/2 tsp. Animal Rennet
2 tblsp. Salt

Pour milk into vat and add Blue Mold (this allows it to rehydrate and disperse while the milk is heating up). Heat up to 86 degree Fahrenheit mix in DVI starter, let ripen for 30 mintues. Dilute rennet in 1/4 cup distilled water and pour in while stirring with whisk. Stir for 1 minute, not aggresively, gently but thorough. Let set undisturbed for 60 minutes or until you get a clean break. Since you're using Sheeps milk which has a lot more fat in it than cow or goat and it's hard to find when you do find it, it will be raw, so your curds should set very firm and good. As I said sheep's milk contains lots of fat it will fill your mold to the tippy top, it makes more curds than the same amount of cow's milk. Cut the curds into 1/2" cubes and stir gently for 5 minutes. Let set for 10 minutes. Ladle curds into a cheese cloth draped over a large food grade bucket or pot add salt and mix in gently, then tie corners of cheese cloth and hang for 15 mintues or until it has stopped dripping. Spoon into cheese mold. Do not press but I like to put the follower in and press down a little to create a nice uniform wheel. If you don't want to press it will knit together nicely, but you still want the follower in. You don't need to use a bottomless mold, just flip the one you have over and the wheel should slide down to the other side. Flip mold every 15 minutes for 2 hours. Let set in kitchen over night. Flip mold several times a day for 4 days. After 4 days scrape any slime or mold off of surface and lightly salt wheel. Then poke with skewer any where from 25-40 holes. Age at 50-55 degrees F at 95% humidity. Scrape off the mold every 20-30 days. After 90 days of aging wrap in foil and store at regular refrigerator temps 38F. Age for another 6 months. Eat. Enjoy. Post Pics here.

Roquefort is basically an english blue cheese made with sheeps milk.

Cheese Head

Re: Roquefort Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Good man on the recipe :), but:

Roquefort is basically an english blue cheese made with sheeps milk.

Tabernac!!!!

Vous êtes une philistin ou vous voulez une autre guerre or vous voulez inverser le Louisiana Purchase!

Roquefort c'est une fromage magnifique et la triumph de la cuisine de France et produire depuis le ans 79 mais le anglaise Stilton vrai depuis 1730!

Vive la légende du Rocquefort!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:22:30 PM by Cheese Head »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »
Um, ok John. I'm american I only know one phrase in French and you don't want me saying it. Translation please.

Oops I get it, I was writing English but Meant French, sorry, I was looking over my stilton recipe as I was typing that..LOL

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
OK I was trying to be funny but it didn't work, my french is only highschool and years ago, but I'll try to translate ;D:

Roquefort is basically an English blue cheese made with sheeps milk.

Very very Bad French Canadian Cuss Word!!!!

You are a philistine or you want another war or you want to us to take back the Louisiana Purchase!

Roquefort is a magnificent cheese and the triumph of French cuisine and has been produced since the year 79 but the English Stilton has only been produced since 1730!

Long live the Roquefort legend!

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:29:50 AM »
LOL@Cheese Head!
When I first read this post, I thought I had gotten some bad information. Everything I've read about Roquefort said that it was a french cheese.
Thanks for posting this recipe though. I just wonder if it can be made out of cow's milk since I don't have access to sheep milk.
Even though I've never tried a roquefort it sounds like a challenge. Just my type of cheese.
My next attempt at a blue will be Gorgonzola. It is probably my favorite blue.
Also the two day making period sounds like a lot of fun and a challenge to get right. I just want to do some more reading on the subject to avoid any unforseen pitfalls (like I experienced with my first Stilton).
Thanks again for the recipe.

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:37:16 AM »
C'mon Dave, Roquefort made with cow's milk IS Stilton....LOL, there's not much difference.

Gorgonzola is definately tough, good luck.