Author Topic: Making my First Romano  (Read 7506 times)

JeffHamm

Making my First Romano
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »
Hi,

I have a few cheeses which will be maturing over the next few months, so I thought I would try a
Romano as then I can age it for at least 6 months or more.  I had a floc time of about 12:30, and used a 2.5x multiplier.  Does that sound right?  The recipe on the site indicates let it set for 45-90 minutes, and if floc time is supposed to target 10-15 minutes, that seems really long?  I went with my 2.5, but I'm curious if it's because the make starts at a temperature a bit low for Thermo?

- Jeff

JeffHamm

Re: Making my First Romano
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:39:09 PM »
Will be shifting this into the mold shortly.  I'm pleased with this, I think.  I've been able to keep to the temperature targets.  I don' t have a ph meter, but I've used the floc method and so far things seem to be "on time".  The curds have reduced, and are quite small now, but it looks to be a good yield.  Fingers crossed.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 11:58:35 PM »
Ok, this is looking promising!  I gave it the first 30 minute press with 5 kg, and when I flipped and redressed it, the knit was looking superb.  The cheese felt very soft, and wet (like it was waterlogged), so I'm assuming there's still a lot of whey to get pressed out.  Have got it under 12.5 kg for the next 3 hours now, then it's over night.  Hmmm, the press schedule is for 12 hours, but that would be 3:30 am.  I'm unlikely to be awake at that time.  Might have to press until closer to 6 am, but that's pretty close on.  Just need to get the brine ready today, as it's a work day tomorrow.  Will post a photo once it's out of the brine. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:42:18 AM »
Hi,

Ok, it's now had the 3 hour press, and I snapped a shot before it goes into the over night press.  I have to work on my wrapping while pressing as I'm getting all sorts of ...um ... character?  Anyway, it's looking good and the seal is great already.  I'm planning on keeping this by oiling the rind.  Will see how that goes.

- Jeff

zenith1

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:46:25 AM »
Jeff-you made the correct decision. A flocc of 2-2.5 would be correct for that type of cheese.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:18:20 AM »
Thanks zenith1.  As the make progressed I figured all was good as the curds seemed to do what various recipies indicate should happen (i.e. shrink, etc), but it's nice to get some independent verification.  I was just following the recipie by RC, but once I got started thought I would double check with the one here as she just indicated "wait until a clean break", and I wanted to see if the board one listed a floc time.  It didn't, but I had a table from a post that seemed to indicate 2-2.5 (as you list).  I went with the longer set, for a slight moister and faster aging cheese (if I understand things correctly) since I want to break into this in about 6-9 months, rather than wait over a year.

My rough calculations as to yield is just over 1.6 kg (going on 1cc = 1 g), but as I expect it to lose moisture over night, and to shink a bit, probably more in the 1.5 kg range. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 05:09:50 AM »
Oh yah, I meant to ask.  I understand that just before brining you poke the surface with a fork (multiple times).  Is this just to allow the brine access to the intererior, to draw out more moisture?  I've not seen this called for in any other cheese before, so I'm curious.  I take it the holes are really just deep enough to break the outer knit and not inches deep?

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
Oh yah, I meant to ask.  I understand that just before brining you poke the surface with a fork (multiple times).  Is this just to allow the brine access to the intererior, to draw out more moisture?  I've not seen this called for in any other cheese before, so I'm curious.  I take it the holes are really just deep enough to break the outer knit and not inches deep?

- Jeff
Where did you read about poking the rind? You're going to corrupt that nice knit you've got to the rind? The brine should do just fine without the poking.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

zenith1

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 03:03:19 PM »
Jeff- I have, I agree wit the Boof. I have never seen anything about poking holes in the rind of a grana type cheese. Like Boofer posted it is another opportunity for an unwanted critter to take up residence. Soaking in a brine is all that is needed to prepare a nice rind, firm up the wheel,add the required amount of salt to add the flavor and slow down the bacteria etc. No need to perforate the rind. I attached a document that has been previously been posted about flocculation multipliers in case you did not have the reference.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
Hi Boof and zenith1,

I checked the recipe on the forum (found here).  Check out step 16:

http://cheeseforum.org/articles/wiki-romano-cheese-making-recipe/

I must admit, it did feel a bit wrong to pierce such a great knit.  But, I did (had to make the call before people had time to respond).  Hopefully I didn't introduce any nasties.  Hmmm, maybe someone who is more experienced with this make should give the forum's recipie a once over?  Seems to me it might be less up to standard than some of the others (i.e. the long set time; and possibly this forking thing).

Oh, and thanks for the chart zenith1!  The more info the better.

Anyway, it came out to weigh 1606g, which is what I had estimated.  Now, as I'm thinking of a salt and oil routine for this one, is a 1.6 kg (3.5 lbs) wheel (about 3.25 inches high, 6 inch diameter) wheel too small to retain enough moisture?  I know oiling and such works fine for large wheels, but I'm wondering if this is just too small for that and would people recommend I wax it after a month or so?

- jeff
P.S. Still need to work on the cheese wrapping.  Imperfections still knitted good though.  I used a bigger piece of cheesecloth than usual, so there was more of it left over.  Must figure out how to avoid this.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 05:38:50 AM by JeffHamm »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
Yeah, that's what the recipe says. Surprised me. I think I'll have to go to the judges for this call.

Opinions: linuxboy, Francois, or Sailor?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

darius

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 08:14:44 PM »
Yay, Jeff. You are getting brave. :)

I've decided to stick with Caerphilly until I get it right.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 09:20:26 PM »
Not sure if this applies, but I'd always see ads for grana padano in the cooking mags over the years, and noted the rind perforations:

Now, my curiosity is piqued as well. 
- Paul

coffee joe

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 10:10:11 PM »
The designs seen on Italian Grano cheese are from matrix in the hoop itself. These cheeses are not pressed as we understand "pressing", they are more "bound" with a hoop that gets tightened with a shoe lace type of setup on the side of the hoop.
This works due to the 100 Lb weight of each individual cheese.
Here is a pretty good You tube for an idea

Making Parmigiano Reggiano Part 4 of 9

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 10:17:51 PM »
The designs seen on Italian Grano cheese are from matrix in the hoop itself. These cheeses are not pressed as we understand "pressing", they are more "bound" with a hoop that gets tightened with a shoe lace type of setup on the side of the hoop.
This works due to the 100 Lb weight of each individual cheese.
Here is a pretty good You tube for an idea

Making Parmigiano Reggiano Part 4 of 9

Interesting, I didn't know; much like an abondance, etc.  Do you know if the holes serve a functional, and not merely a decorative purpose (per Jeff's recipe)?
- Paul