Author Topic: Making my First Romano  (Read 7474 times)

coffee joe

Re: Making my First Romano
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »
It is actually a branding so that everyone knows it is from Parma or whatever. Each region has its DOP. The large brand is literally firebranded on after it passes inspection.
You can watch the entire process on YouTube parts 1-9

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 10:35:59 PM »
I figured it was so, as you can see the "DOP", etc., on the markings.  Just wondering whether it serves a dual purpose - penetration of the rind, per Jeff's question with this thread.  Do you happen to know?
- Paul

coffee joe

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2011, 10:40:55 PM »
IMHO it is too superficial to be more than a mark. This series is pretty good too.

Making Parmigiano Reggiano (part 7)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
Great vids, Joe.  Thanks.
- Paul

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 01:29:59 AM »
Neat stuff. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:40 AM »
Weighed the cheese after the brining.  It's now 1578g, so it lost about 28g in the brine.  Now, air dry, and care for it while I wait.

Any opinions on whether or not oiling this (6.25" diameter, 3" height) wheel will be ok?  Or, is this wheel too small for that, and should I wax it in a month (to prevent it drying out too much?)  I've not kept a cheese au natural yet.

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for sharing all your steps with this cheese.  Sorry I don't have any feedback for you regarding oil vs wax for dryness prevention on this one.  I guess I'd keep it in a fairly humid environment for sure.

As for the "character" of the surface, FarmerJD told us all about cheese bags well over a year ago.  I made a couple to fit my mold and have never gone back to flat cheesecloth since.  I made mine from old sheeting and it gives a really nice smooth surface to the wheel.  The bottom is just a circle, cut slightly larger than the diameter of the mold and the side tapers slightly towards the top, to allow the bag to be brought to the outside of the mold.  I place a circle of cheesecloth on top of the curd before putting the follower in.

I still have a few slight fold marks, but nothing like using the flat fabric.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2011, 04:05:56 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for sharing all your steps with this cheese.  Sorry I don't have any feedback for you regarding oil vs wax for dryness prevention on this one.  I guess I'd keep it in a fairly humid environment for sure.

As for the "character" of the surface, FarmerJD told us all about cheese bags well over a year ago.  I made a couple to fit my mold and have never gone back to flat cheesecloth since.  I made mine from old sheeting and it gives a really nice smooth surface to the wheel.  The bottom is just a circle, cut slightly larger than the diameter of the mold and the side tapers slightly towards the top, to allow the bag to be brought to the outside of the mold.  I place a circle of cheesecloth on top of the curd before putting the follower in.

I still have a few slight fold marks, but nothing like using the flat fabric.

Off-topic, but funny you're writing this, Karen, as with my last make, I've torn holes in the last usable patch of my existing cheesecloth.  They are now brining rags, and as I'm pretty tired of buying expensive squares of dedicated cheesemaking muslin, I have started to think of, say, linen pillowcase material?  Will have to think on this more, as I cannot sew (my neighbor can, though....and loves cheese.... ;)).
- Paul

coffee joe

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
From all I have seen, and tried myself, Grana cheese is left to dry at about 22ºC(70ºF) in a 70% humidity environment for 2 weeks and rubbed daily with a cloth just damp with brine and vinegar. This develops a very nice, and shiny, natural rind. This rind can be a bit thick on smaller cheeses, taking up much of the cheese but the results are as I expected for flavor.
Hope someday to have a proper "Parm" kettle for a decent size wheel. I was at a Brazilian Parmesan factory and they follow all the proper DOP methods making 13 KG wheels in a 150 liter kettle. The real thing is 2 wheels, 45 Kg each, from an 1100 liter kettle.

JeffHamm

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2011, 07:52:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the cheesebag Karen.  I'll probably try something like that at some point, but until I can do that I suspect I'll be looking for shapes in my cheeses.  This one seems a fairly straight forward make, so is probably a good one for relative newbies.  The draw back being it does call for a fairly lengthy ageing process.  I'll work on a brine rind for a bit, and will probably wax it after a month.  I know the rind on my caerphilly was fairly thickish by 3 weeks, and I don't have a hygrometer yet so my cave could be a bit drier than optimum. 

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions everyone.

- Jeff

zenith1

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2011, 08:09:13 PM »
Jeff i would opt for the vacuum bagging or oil in this case. This type of cheese cries out for a natural rind as opposed to say a wax.

Offline Hande

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 27
  • Default personal text
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
rubbed daily with a cloth just damp with brine and vinegar.

Coffee Joe, could you say that do you put vinegar in brine and how much ? and is it saturated brine ?

Hande

coffee joe

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
Actually, what I am doing, after watching others, is a cloth soaked in brine and the cheese lightly misted with vinegar. The cloth, about the same as cloth diapers, is wrung to the point of being moist not at all dripping.

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
Hi Keith,

Yah, I was thinking of trying a natural rind, but I'm wondering if this is just too small a cheese (6.25" diamter, 3" height, it's only about 1.6 kgs, so it's not huge) and that after 6-9 months it will just be mostly rind.  So, I was thinking I would build a rind for a month, then wax to prevent it from drying out further; I'm trying to get a rind that doesn't take over the cheese!

- Jeff

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 11:35:51 PM »
I would try vacuum bagging it. I ran into a problem with a cheese with too much rind and I can't get cheese wax locally(I know you can cut bees wax with other oils, but I don't know the proportions) so far so good.

I love my food-saver and I have two of my cheeses in bags now (Cheddar and a Gouda)