Author Topic: Learning Lancashire  (Read 10889 times)

MrsKK

Re: Learning Lancashire
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Yep, creamy is the goal here.  I liked the young Gouda that we bought a couple of weeks ago (because I'd just made a Gouda, but had never eaten any), but DH wants more flavor.  I'll have to try your method with a Romano, too.

george

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 04:20:26 PM »
There is one adjective that sells more cheese than any other - creamy.

Wow, how do you know me so well?   ;)

I suspect that one of the major things I've been aiming for with my cheddars is, in fact, Lancashire.  Another 10 days or so and I'll find out.  Hee!  While people more purist than I may be shuddering in horror at this (not exactly "true" cheddars), my original goal was to try to duplicate the cheese I got from my favorite farmer in Quarryville PA.  I think I finally got there, but now it might be even easier once I get to try the Lancashire and see how close it is.

(Aside - haven't made cheese in two weeks and it's made me absolutely nuts.  So I just got back from picking up about 8 gallons milk.  Cam's and a 4-gal garlic herb "cheddar" shall ensue.  My sister promises to mock me mercilessly should I hurt my back or shoulder again just because I'm, ummmm, bored.)

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 05:02:59 PM »
Karen - That is the Catch-22. Flavor and young cheeses often do not go hand in hand.

My Stiltons (especially the Ginger) are by far my best selling cheeses. They're really good but what people react to most is the creamy, buttery texture. When people take their first bite they always shut their eyes and make a little noise. I call it the "mmm..... factor". That reaction is what I want for all of my cheeses.

george

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
Ta-daaaaa!!!

Oh yes, pressing right away seriously helped this cheese - if I haven't already been effusive enough in my thanks, Sailor, consider me effusive now. 

I had to open up the first one and re-vac it (was accumulated whey/moisture inside), I stole a small piece from the side and wasn't particularly impressed with it.  Of course it was only three weeks old at that point, so ...

So here's Lancashire #2 - MUCH nicer, at least so far. 

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »
British cheese and Mexican beer - interesting pairing. :o

Looking really good George. Give it 30 days and then try it. Lancashire is pretty good young. You can always put back for more aging to suit your taste.

I made 6 batches of 6 Lancashires (36 cheeses) this week. Each about 6 pounds. 12 regular, 12 with organic tomatoes, and 12 to be mesquite smoked.

The accumulated whey probably means that you didn't press with enough weight or long enough or both. It's also really important to let the cheese breathe and expel moisture before you wax or bag. My guess is that you bagged too early. When whey does accumulate like that, I would not re-bag immediately. Take it out and let it dry for a few days first.

mikeradio

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 02:47:59 PM »
Hey Sailor

Do you let the lancashire sit out for a couple days at room temp or does it go right into the cave after being pressed?  Would you wax or bag it as soon as it looks dry enough?

Thanks

Mike

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 06:11:18 PM »
I let all of my hard cheeses dry for a couple of days before going into the cave. I know what many of the books say, but IMHO you should NOT wax or vac bag too early or you will trap moisture. I let mine breathe and age naturally for 3-4 weeks before bagging. In the case of Lancashire, if you anticipate using it early, you may never need to wax bag. Just keep the humidity reasonable so the rind doesn't dry out.

george

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »
Sailor - since I couldn't eat the cheese yet, I had to drink the beer instead.   ;)

I did actually bag that first one too early - it had been air-drying when I had that lovers' quarrel with the black ice, and by the time I could move again I was afraid it would dry too much if I left it, but couldn't move well enough to go shuffling up and down the stairs grabbing ripening containers and sech.  On the good side, there wasn't MUCH accumulation in the bag, and I did let it dry again for a few more days before re-bagging it.

I probably shouldn't have dissed it, either - the piece that I stole and tasted WAS from the driest part, after all, age notwithstanding.   My plans for both of them will be to cut them at roughly 4 weeks, respectively, try 'em, and re-vac pieces to try again at 6 and 8 weeks, and maybe keep a small piece for longer (12 weeks).  I'm eager to see/taste the flavor curve you described, including (maybe) the 90-day mark.  I like the maxim "you can always use it in cooking!"

I finally got some egg crate, too, and my neighbor cut it up for me, so I can rig up some extra "drying" containers much more easily now.  I think I'll take your advice and not bother bagging this one at all (at least until I cut it the first time).

Thanks again!

(Mmmmmmmmm ... mesquite smoked!!!)

george

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »
Oh, one more thing - how do you prep the tomatoes for adding to the cheese?  I'm guessing they're dried, but if not ... ?

MrsKK

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
That Lancashire is looking good, George.  Dos Equis is one of the few beers that I truly enjoy.

We tasted the second quarter of the lumpy Lanc I have pictured above late last week.  The flavor is developing, but still a mild-medium cheddar type flavor.  I need to make more of these cheeses so we've got a rolling stock of it.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2011, 05:24:31 PM »
I'm sorry, but "rolling stock" conjures up images of the cheese competitions in England where they litterally roll their cheeses down a hill.

MrsKK

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:38 AM »
Well, I hope you were amused by the little "movie" you got to see!

george

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
But then you'd have to drink Rolling Rock with it.   :o

So, Karen, how old is that first one now?  It was 4 weeks when you first opened, but I wasn't sure of the make date.  Is it still as creamy as it was at 4 weeks? 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:50:44 AM by george »

steampwr8

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »
Fantastic Cheese~would you be so kind as to post the recipe, please!?

mikeradio

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
The recipe was posted in it own thread

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,6505.msg46408.html#msg46408

I hope to make this one myself next week

Mike