Author Topic: Learning Lancashire  (Read 10885 times)

darius

Re: Learning Lancashire
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Sailor... this is OT, but how long and at what temp  do you cold-smoke the Lancashire cheese? And then what... bag to let the smoke flavor permeate?

Thanks.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 07:49:27 PM »
As DJ Debbie has pointed out, there are many ways to COLD smoke. For example you can use a soldering iron and a handful of chips. There is almost no heat involved so I'm not sure what you are asking about temperature. I use a "Smoke Pistol". Here's a link on E-Bay

Smoke Pistol

Ingenious little device that doesn't generate much heat. I put the Smoke Pistol in the bottom of a BBQ grill and then put six 8" wheels on the rack. Plug the SP in and let her smoke for an hour. Time depends on the level of smoke flavor and the kind of wood that you are using. The SP uses chip cartridges. I use either Hickory or Mesquite.

I feel it is important to smoke and vac bag them before a really hard rind develops. I feel I get better smoke penetration this way and have absolutely no mold problems.

darius

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 08:14:45 PM »
Thanks, that's what I needed to know... the time, basically. The Q about temp was in reference to really low temps, which have given me the problem of a slight bitterness, possibly from smoke condensate.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:23 PM »
The time is really relative to the size(s) of the cheese, the size of the enclosed smoking container, and the amount of smoke being produced. For example I use an old BBQ grill, but you could also use a sealed Rubbermaid container that wouldn't leak smoke.

MrsKK

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 03:25:12 AM »
But then you'd have to drink Rolling Rock with it.   :o

So, Karen, how old is that first one now?  It was 4 weeks when you first opened, but I wasn't sure of the make date.  Is it still as creamy as it was at 4 weeks?

That's really amusing George, because Rolling Rock is the only kind of beer we drink at our house.

kookookachoo

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »
Thanks again, Karen, for pointing out this link to me!  I've got everything prepped to make this today.  We're doing the semi-instant gratification cheeses, probably for the next following months, if not for the entire year.  I don't regret making the parm (now that I think about it more), it WAS a learning experience...but, then, it will be quite a long time to find out if I dorked the making of, so we'll see.  I really like the inside of your cut Lancashire, though..it DOES look creamy & we love creamy cheese in this house...apart from the tabled grana cheeses we're partial to. 

So, I'm off to the kitchen! 

MrsKK

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »
I have sad news about my first parmesan...I had to throw it away.  I had it wrapped in saran wrap and stuck it in the back of the spare refrigerator.  I came across it the other day and it had gotten very wet.  Half of it was black/grey/white and looking very soggy, so I didn't even want to mess with it.  No regrets, though.

Good luck with the Lancashire, Steff!

kookookachoo

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2011, 01:48:06 AM »
That is so sad!!  I would probably cry..maybe not, but I would be hard pressed not to.  I have my parm in the fridge now, I've got the temp in there, consistently at 52-55F, the thing is, I have to check the humidity a couple of times a day (with warm water), replace the cup I have there for it to get to the target range...or it drops down to 75%.  Luckily, I work about 3-5 mins drive from home & come home for lunch almost everyday, so I get to refill it.  I'm going to have to get a mini fridge, though & have my hubby rig that for humidity & temp "cave" setting.  I know there's a topic in here somewhere for it, if not, I know I can probably find it online!  I'm going to post a pic of the parm tomorrow.  It's really puny, though, cos I only made it out of a gallon of milk cos I was too chicken to do more. 

george

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
That's really amusing George, because Rolling Rock is the only kind of beer we drink at our house.

Well then you're all set!!   8)

MrsKK

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:06 AM »
I've got a GE mini fridge that stays 52-54 degrees with no external controller.  It doesn't have a freezer compartment in it, which I think helps a lot.  I've also occasionally noticed drops of water toward the back on the floor of it, so I think the humidity is staying high enough, too.  When I bought my remote thermometer, I spaced out getting one with humidity readings.  Oh, well.  This fridge is working out really well for me and only cost $110 at Sam's Club.

george

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Silly question - if I were to use all whole milk in a Lancashire instead of mostly whole and some partially skimmed, what would happen and why?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
I use whole all the time. Makes a creamier, moister cheese that ripens a little quicker. Skim always makes a harder, drier cheese.

MrsKK

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:00 AM »
I also use whole milk for Lancashire.  My cow right now is holding back a lot of the cream for the two foster calves she's nursing, so it's pretty short on the creamline anyway.

george

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
Cool, thanks!  I need to try this again, and I very rarely manage to plan my milk supply around needing extra cream or skimmed.  Have resolved that I'm going to do it properly this time - the last one I stubbornly insisted that there was no reason it shouldn't take JUST FINE to vacuum-sealing, and by the time I was done with it I'd sucked all the moisture out.  That'll larn me.

Thanks again to both of you!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03:20 PM »
Vacuum sealing doesn't pull out moisture from the cheese. If it was dry, there are many other things to look at during your make - curd size, floc time, floc multiplier, time until curd cutting, cook temp, cook time, air drying, cave management, humidity, etc,