Author Topic: Lancashire recipe  (Read 8561 times)

MrsKK

Lancashire recipe
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:23:56 PM »
Lancashire
Recipe from 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes by Debra Amrein-Boyes
(My notes are in parenthesis)

14 quarts whole milk
2 quarts partly skimmed (2%) milk (I use a total of 5 gallons milk)
1/2 tsp mesophilic culture (I use 1 2/3 cup cultured buttermilk)
1/2 tsp calcium chloride (not necessary if using raw milk)
1/2 tsp liquid rennet (I use 1/8 tsp powdered calf rennet)
3 tbsp pickling or kosher salt (I use 4 tbsp kosher salt)
White or cider vinegar

1) Blend milks and warm to 88* F, stirring gently. Turn off heat.

2) Sprinkle culture over surface of milk and let stand for about 5 minutes to rehydrate. Using skimmer and an up-and-down motion, gently draw culture down into milk without breaking surface of milk. Cover and let ripen for 45 minutes, maintaining the temperature at 88* F.

3) Dilute calcium chloride, if using, in 1/4 cup cool water. Add to milk using the same up-and-down motion.

4) Dilute rennet in 1/4 cup cool water. Add to milk using the same up-and-down motion to draw the rennet down into the milk until well blended. Use skimmer to stop the motion of the milk. Cover pot and let set for 50 minutes, maintaining the temperature.

5) Check for a clean break. If necessary, let set for another 5-10 minutes or until clean break is achieved. Using a long-bladed knife and skimmer, cut curd into 3/8 inch pieces, using the skimmer to lift and move the curds gently to ensure all are cut. Let curds stand for 5 minutes to firm up.

6) Stir curds for 10 minutes until they release more whey, become firmer and float freely in the whey. Let settle about 5 minutes.

7) Pour contents of pot into a cloth-lined colander. Return curds to pot and press down with your hand to knit them together. (I twist the cheesecloth around the curd to expel some more whey and to help them knit.) Put the lid back on the pot to keep the curds warm. (I run some hot water in the sink and place a weight on top of the lid to help keep the curds warm). Let stand for 15 minutes. Turn the cake of curd over and hold for 15 more minutes. (Mine tends to break - just do the best you can)

8) Cut cake of curd in half and pile one piece on top of the other in the pot. Cover and hold for another 15 minutes. The two halves will knit together into one piece.

9) Place curd on a cutting board and cut into 1-inch by 1/2 inch pieces (I cut into cubes roughly 1 x 1/2 x 1/2). Place in a bowl and toss with salt.

10) Fill prepared mold with curds. Pull cloth up neatly around curds and fold excess snugly over the top, with as few wrinkles as possible. Put on the lid. Place mold on a rack in a draining container and let drain overnight. (this last sentence is the thing I did differently the second time - I put the mold directly into the cheese press. I won't do the overnight draining again.)

11) In the morning (or right away if you like) place mold in cheese press at medium pressure (I use 20 lbs) for one hour. Remove from press and re-dress the wheel of cheese. Continue pressing at medium to firm pressure (I use 40 lbs) for six hours (I've gone as long as 8 hours overnight).

12) remove cheese from press. Unwrap and place on a cheese mat in a ripening container. Ripen at 54* to 60* F at 85 - 90% humidity for 4 to 8 weeks, depending upon your taste. Turn cheese daily for the first week, then twice weekly thereafter. If mold appears, wipe rind with a cloth dipped in vinegar. (I find that kosher salt works well to scrub mold off, then I wipe down with cider vinegar.)

Let me know if you try this cheese and what you think of it.

JeffHamm

Re: Lancashire recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:46:35 PM »
Thanks for that.

Just reading through I notice it's 50 minutes post rennet until cutting.  So, would that be a 3.5x floc for cut, which I think is the higher end for cheddar types (to get a moister cheese)?

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
Someone else will have to answer that for you, as I don't use the flocculation method, I go by clean break.

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
Jeff -that's the way to read and analyze a recipe. Good work!

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
I use a floc multiplier of 3.5 because I want a creamy cheese. If you want a more traditional cheddary texture, reduce the multiplier to 3.

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »
Thanks Sailor!  I just wanted to make sure I understood how the floc thing works, and the whys of it.  I'm just starting to use it myself (have made 2 cheeses based upon it so far). 

Karen, it's not hard to do, and it gets you to tweak your makes to suit your milk source (i.e. adjust your rennet amounts so you're getting floculation at 12-15 minutes) and then your set time is based upon that time plus what characteristics you want (drier = shorter waits, moister/creamier = longer multipliers).  I must say, that I was a bit uncomfortable just cutting into the curd at some point in time without checking for a clean break (as I was used to doing that), but both makes produced good makes in the end.

Thanks for compliment Keith.  I'm wanting to use this technique more, so I'm trying to work at converting recipies presented in time to floc multipliers.  Getting there.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Karen - your notes say you use 1-2/3 cup cultured buttermilk - are you just using that straight?

Reason I ask is that I remember you saying somewhere that you use the buttermilk (or yogurt) the same way as a mother culture.  And while I haven't done an exhaustive study on mother cultures, I have read the threads on them (especially Sailor's photo essay - thanks, Sailor!), and my admittedly strange memory tells me that there's something about mixing part of the mother culture with some milk and letting it set for many hours before using it in the make.

So is it my memory that's off, or is it that in this case, you've basically already done that step by making the buttermilk to begin with?

Thanks!

~Mary

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:16 PM »
What about salting the choped curds before pressing?

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »
Salting the curds is in step 9

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 02:15:41 AM »
George - this is cultured buttermilk that I use.  Either store bought or buttermilk from cultured butter making.  I don't do anything else to it.

If I didn't answer your questions, ask away and I'll try to anser more thoroughly.

george

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
Nope, that answers it fine.  Thanks!

mikeradio

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 04:14:47 AM »
Hey Karen

What size of mold do you use?

Thanks

Mike

MrsKK

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
My mold is six inches wide by about 8 inches high.

kookookachoo

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:57:59 PM »
Karen,

Step 7...when you're at the putting curds wrapped in the cloth in..and you flip it...when I opened the lid, there was a pool of whey that came out of the wrapped curd.  I dumped it out before I flipped the curd-cake over.  Was that ok?  And the temp is holding at 86F, too.  I hesitate to add more water to get it up to 88F cos I don't want it to get too warm when the lid is closed again.  I'm trying to check the ph for my notes, but my stinking meter is not working for some reason.  Boo!  And the cake did break in a couple of hunks when I flipped it, too!  I wonder if it wouldn't have, had I used a plate on top, flipped, slid it back from the plate onto the cloth again?  Oh well, adding that to notes & see if it works next time.

I'm really excited about this, the "creamy" part has me intrigued!  And I really, really hope this turns out.  I've been taking pics, with the help of my daughter, of some of the steps, too...I'm a visual-aids kind of person.   ;D

MrsKK

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:29 AM »
Sorry, Steff, I should have been more clear.  I did not leave the curds in the cheesecloth in Step 7, but put them back in the kettle "naked". 

Temp varying by a couple of degrees is not too major.  In fact, I don't continue to monitor the temperature after I put the curds back into the kettle for the resting phase.  The curd cake breaks up when I flip it over, too.  No worries, as it all works anyway.

I hope you like this cheese.  I wish I had known about it when I was new to cheesemaking.