Author Topic: Dutch Press Plans  (Read 23589 times)

pilgarlic

Re: Dutch Press Plans
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 08:16:54 AM »
awakephd

Thanks for the press plans,  I have just about  finished making it, I made it from some mahogany that' s been laying around for about 20 years,see attachment I am wondering how to treat the wood ie .wax ,varnish etc,  I am a complete novice at cheese making, and will be attempting to make a manchego this week as soon as the rest of the ingredients arrive , any advice would be much appreciated.

I did send this message yesterday but it didn't go, hope to have better luck with this one

pilgarlic

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 08:51:40 AM »
Very nice press - congratulations! :-)

qdog1955

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 10:32:06 AM »
Nice work---very nice press----you might want to consider butcher block oil, it is non toxic---but you will have to rub it down with the oil every once in awhile, but it is real easy to use. And inexpensive.
Qdog

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
Wow, beautiful job! I'm glad the plans were helpful.

I have used mineral oil (of the sort you can buy in the drug store) for this sort of project. It is non-toxic, and unlike vegetable oils, will not turn rancid. Let it soak in, wipe off the excess. Renew as needed.
-- Andy

qdog1955

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2014, 11:16:29 AM »
You should be aware that there are different grades of mineral oil, some are not food grade---according to the USA government and the European Union-----can you believe those sources?   Don't know----it could just be hype!!  I've used both and I'm still kicking. The butcher block oil has mineral oil in it and some other stuff---so maybe it's not worth the extra money.
Qdog

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
I use tung oil and beeswax, but that's kind of a pain to get rubbed in well.  I get both from Woodcraft.
- Paul

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »
Oh, yes, there is all sorts of mineral oil, including the oil I use in my metalworking lathe and mill. Probably don't want to consume those! :)

You can get mineral oil at the drug store that is intended to be consumed. Not as food ... but used as a laxative. :P Yes, sounds gross, but as I understand it, it is not something your body reacts to; basically it just, err, lubricates things on through your system.
-- Andy