Author Topic: Dutch Press Plans  (Read 23495 times)

mrawlins

Dutch Press Plans
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »
I've been having reasonable success with my soft cheese, and I want to delve into the world of hard cheeses.  I need a press, and buying one looks too expensive at the moment.

I'd like to build a Dutch Press, but I'm having a hard time finding any plans that are fairly straightforward.  If it doesn't have a diagram or picture I probably won't be able to figure it out no matter how good the instructions.  I haven't done much woodwork in the last 10 years, so I don't feel very confident just inventing something at this point.  I've got a 4" mold, and won't need any particularly heavy weights to start with.

Does anyone have some reasonable plans for a Dutch press they'd be willing to share with me?  Any pointers on building my first one other than just to dive in?

Ken

Re: Dutch Press Plans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:33:10 AM »
G'day mrawlins, There are quite a few on this forum, just do a search. Or go to equipment - aging cheese towards the bottom of the list.

Ken

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:58:53 AM »
I'd like to build a Dutch Press, but I'm having a hard time finding any plans that are fairly straightforward.  If it doesn't have a diagram or picture I probably won't be able to figure it out no matter how good the instructions.  I haven't done much woodwork in the last 10 years, so I don't feel very confident just inventing something at this point.  I've got a 4" mold, and won't need any particularly heavy weights to start with.

Does anyone have some reasonable plans for a Dutch press they'd be willing to share with me?  Any pointers on building my first one other than just to dive in?
There are a number of examples on the forum. Here's one:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,1751.msg45442.html#msg45442

It doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate. It just has to apply pressure to your cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mrawlins

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:06 AM »
Last time I went through the forums looking for plans what I found was quite daunting - it just seemed beyond my abilities at this point.  You convinced me to go back through, though, and I didn't find it nearly as scary this time around.  Maybe I just needed to sleep on it :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Try the "Off the Wall Press" plans at cheesemaking.com. Easy construction. I've built a couple of Dutch presses but I'm still improving the design. I'll post plans here when I'm happy with the design. but the off the wall press is pretty easy and quick to get you started.
Dave in CT

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »
So long as you have a wall stud or something similar you can attach a 2x4 arm to, it really doesn't get much easier than that, and a piece of 2x2 to swing as your piston.  I did just that, but then got, shall we say, inspired. (Thanks again Boof). 
- Paul

tananaBrian

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:28:43 AM »
I'm surprised that nobody has built a compound lever press, even if just to save space.  A home version of the one below could fit into a neat 16" x 16" corner somewhere when not in use, and only slightly larger when you're using it and hanging weights on it (estimated leverage calculations follow):

A press that a friend and I discovered while googling around at work... (lunch time of course!)

The cheese press above has a long lever arm (top) with a pulley on the end, and it drives a short lever arm (bottom) which actually presses the cheese.  I made some estimated measurements off this image and calculated an effort to force ratio of 55:1 (below).  That means an 8" mold for a very firm cheese that requires 40 psi would only need 36-1/2 lbs to exert the required 2010.6 lbs on the wheel of cheese (below).  Not bad, eh?  Nice and compact cheese press that has huge upside potential for how firmly it can press with only a light weight.  Of course, if you really do use it for such large loads, you do need to use appropriate materials that ensure adequate strength.

Estimated lever arm measurements:

Upper (large) arm:
------------------------
Force arm (Af) is 6.2 units
Resistance arm (Ar) is 0.9 units

Force ratio is 6.88:1

Lower (small) arm:
--------------------------
Force arm (Af) is 2.4 units
Resistance arm (Ar) is 0.6 units

Force ratio is 4:1

Pulley:
-----------
Simple pulley with one fixed end.  Fixed and moving ends each carry half the load.

Force ratio is 2:1

=> Total force ratio is 55:1, e.g.  6.88 x 4 x 2 = 55.x

8" hoop at 40 psi:
-------------------------
A = pi times r^2 = 3.14 * 4^2 = 50.265 in^2

Required force = 50.265 in^2 x 40 lbs/in^2 = 2010.6 lbs (!!)

Required weight on the press = 2010.6 / 55 = 36.6 lbs (!!)

Not bad, eh?  At some point, I'm going to design one of these for my own use, but for now, I will make and use a simple press that you just stack weights on top of... but when my needs exceed what that press can do, then I'm going to make the compound-lever press (similar to the one above)

Brian

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:50:48 AM »
Sounds great, BUT with that mechanical advantage the range of motion will be very small. That is the trade off in designing a press, the more the MA the less the movement in the plunger.

tananaBrian

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:16:51 AM »
Sounds great, BUT with that mechanical advantage the range of motion will be very small. That is the trade off in designing a press, the more the MA the less the movement in the plunger.

True.  You will likely have to adjust the press a few times during the first few hours, but the cheese ought to be reducing in size very slowly after that.  When I futz around with the concept, I'll do some calculations around the range of motion as well ...but you're dead right, that's the primary trade-off.

Brian

Screaming Eagle

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 08:49:37 PM »
I don't know what it's called, but an old Readers Digest publication has plans for a few different kinds. The name of the book is 'Back to basics'.

Essentially, it's a 1x12 cut into 12" sections with holes drilled in all 4 corners for a 1/2" dowel.  Cut two identical parts (top and bottom), fix the dowels in the bottom on each corner (maybe 8" or so tall) so you can simply slide the top plate onto the dowels and down onto the cheese. Use whatever weight necessary to get the big squeeze done and you're on the way. 

Onslow

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 01:55:37 AM »
For some reason, obtaining straightforward plans for building a dutch-style cheese press are some kind of state secret.

There are many variations of ones bolted up against a wall, dowel-type ones, lots of folks showing something they built perhaps. Or if you can find some they are very crude drawings.

Many on the Internet are dead links.

Some forum post start to drift off topic or do not address the question/request.

If anyone can point me to a set of plans to the wooden dutch-style ones that are sold for $100+ that would be greatly appreciated.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
Onslow,

Attached is a .pdf with the plans for the press that I designed and built. The .pdf file includes both the detailed plans and a few pictures of the final product. Note that this press is designed for a relatively low mechanical advantage, only 2:1, but could easily be modified for greater MA by extending the lever and/or installing a compound pulley system. My design was based on my relatively small makes (up to 4 lbs.), the materials I had on hand (1" poplar boards), and the weights that go with my weight machine. One change I would make to the design would be to expand the working area of the platform by around an inch, better to accommodate some of the larger tomme-style molds. Obviously, though, the whole design could be scaled up larger as needed.

One thing that may not be shown in the plans is the 2 3/8" bolts, one that serves as the hinge for the lever, and the other that transfers force from the level to the ram.

Hope this is helpful ...

-- Andy

Onslow

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 02:35:30 AM »
awakephd

This is perfect - thank you! I like that the profile fits in a small area for the Dutch style.

So if I understand right you need 25 lbs to get 50 lb pressure?

Thanks again!

Onslow

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 08:20:14 PM »
Onslow,

Glad it is helpful. Yes, this is a 2:1 press, so 25 pounds on the handle gives 50 pounds of press. I designed this to use a common style of weight from a weight machine; I can stack up to three on the handle. I'm not sure if it is obvious from the plans, but there is a threaded insert in the end of the handle, into which a flanged knob threads to keep the weight(s) from sliding off.

As I noted, this could easily be extended to a 2.5:1 or 3:1 press simply by making the handle longer. I am not sure ... but I think perhaps it could go to the 3:1 without making the base longer. More than that and I'm afraid it might tip ...

Andy
-- Andy

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
Well, my face is red. I just realized that my press, as designed, has a 3:1 mechanical advantage, not a 2:1. I was figuring the MA as if it were a class 1 lever, instead of a class 2. So, all this time ... I have been pressing my cheeses at higher psi than I realized!
-- Andy