Author Topic: pH Meters, Again!  (Read 5632 times)

Tea

Re: pH Meters, Again!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »
mmm ok point taken.  So is PH more to do with the final flavour of the cheese, or the condition of the curd cooking process before proceding to the next step?

wharris

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
"The single most important factor in the control of cheese quality is the acid production in the vat, because this largely determines the characteristic basic structure of the cheese and, for most cheese varieties, pH. Any specific cheese variety can be classified by its normal range of calcium content and pH. The pH at draining also determines proportions of residual chymosin (calf rennet) and plasmin in the cheese."

Blah Blah Blah,  it goes on an on and on.
"A Controlled Approach to Cheese Technology1" -

Anyway,  the more i read, A> the dumber i feel, and B> the more important pH seems to be.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »
But remember Quinlan here he's a professional and never touched a PH meter, but he was making a specific kind of cheese for a long time. So if you're a pro and make the same cheese for years a PH might not be necessary but for us Humans it's a plus.

RRR, when you do get a PH meter don't get the hand held type like this http://morebeer.com/view_product/18707//pH_Meter_-_Phep_5 , this is the one I have and it's great but can only measure liquid, as far as I know. If you get one like this http://morebeer.com/view_product/18715//Milwaukee_pH_Meter_w_ATC, with a probe you can actually measure the curd, which is whats important. I could push curds up into the sensor but it would be messy and hard to clean. I'm thinking of getting the probe kind.

wharris

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 11:53:13 PM »
I thought about that,  but milk chemistry changes over time.  Any commercial endeavor that is concerned with consistancy of it's product simply HAS modify its process to account for that.  I would think that measuring pH is key to that.

Again,  that is only from my ongoing readings,  not my personal experience. 

If Quinlan insists he uses no pH meter,  i will have to defer.  I will be surprised, but will defer.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »
Oh, I agree with you Wayne, I mean it takes like two seconds to check it, so why not.