Author Topic: Round bamboo cheese box for hoop?  (Read 1311 times)

Screaming Eagle

Round bamboo cheese box for hoop?
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
     I've got two round boxes made of bamboo? that were used to ship cheese bricks.  Thin flexible wood tacked together.  I'm wondering if they could be used in place of cheese hoops or if the hoops have to be metal.

Thanks

Ken

Re: Round bamboo cheese box for hoop?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »
I would think that if they are sturdy enough it would be ok. They never used metal in the good ol' days. I say go for it. What are the dimensions?

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:11:53 AM »
My two concerns would be that they would not stand up to the pressures that are commonly used(unless you are doing say a blue that is unpressed), and how do you clean them between makes so you don't wind up with all kinds of contamination.

Screaming Eagle

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 08:38:16 PM »
Keith,  Good question about the cleaning.  I'd planned on using them for aging.  I'm making a few simple presses now.

Ken,  It's probably 9" or so in diameter and 4" or so deep.  I think they're sturdy enough.

Any suggestions for homemade hoops?  Get the jigsaw out and go to work?  I guess they wouldn't have to be round, eh?

windowater

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:53:03 PM »
I've made a couple out of used straight sided 2 liter pop bottles.  They are only about 4" across and I've only used them for blues.  Easy to poke holes with a hot nail for drainage.  Don't know how much pressure they would take but might be worth a try.