Author Topic: Camemblue  (Read 141 times)

Offline Raw Prawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 26
  • Default personal text
Camemblue
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:50:39 AM »
...or Camblu, Blue Brie, Cambazola, call it what you like. I've been meaning to try one of these for a while and I've finally got around to it, starting yesterday. Details as follows:

Based on recipes by Gianaclis Caldwell and New England Cheesemaking. the main variation being the use of PR grown on a piece of bread from a commercial blue.

Ingredients:
•   4L Fleurieu Jersey milk. P = 3.3% F = 4.8%
•   1/5 tsp (rounded tad) of Flora Danica;
•   1.2ml calcium chloride dissolved in 20ml of water.
•   1.0 ml of 140 IMCU animal rennet in 20 ml of water.
•   PR culture rehydrated in 60 ml water, 1/12 tsp sugar and 1/12 tsp salt the day before using.
For later spraying.
•   1/16 tsp (pinch) PC rehydrated in 60 ml water, 1/12 tsp sugar and 1/12 tsp salt the day before using.
Warmed milk to 32C
Sprinkled on the Flora Danica, left for 10 min (got sidetracked) and stirred in for 1 min. Ripened for 25 min.
Stirred in CaCl2 and rested for 5 min.
Stirred in rennet for 2 min. Flocculation occurred at 14 ½ min. Using a 6x multiplier, coagulation time = 87 min.
Cut to 20 mm. Rested 5 min.
Stirred gently for 15 min. Rested 5 min.
Ladled curds into two 95mm lined moulds in layers. Added a few drops of PR culture between layers.
Allowed to drain for 25 hrs. Turned at 15min, 40min, 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, 6hrs, 10hrs and 20hrs.
Salted, ¼ tsp per cheese rubbed into the sides and another ¼ tsp per cheese rubbed into the top. After 4hrs,  flipped the cheeses and applied another ¼ tsp per cheese to what was the bottom. (pH of whey at this stage ~ 4.6)

That's the story so far. After allowing to dry for a couple of days I will drill holes in the cheeses, leave for a couple more days and then spray with PC solution.
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 100
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Camemblue
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »
Hi Andrew,  Looking rather interesting.  I've just about finished both my latest batch of Malemberts and Silky Blue - I think this is a great recipe for combining the two.  I'll watching this with interest.

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline Gürkan Yeniçeri

• The one who masters temperature and humidity can make any cheese.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, a good one.
    • Artizan Peynirci
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
One of the best cheeses I made at home is Cambozola. It is divine experience when goat's milk used too.

Offline Raw Prawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:07:22 AM »
Hi Ozzie, Gurkan. Thanks for the encouragement.
I'm really looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Bloomy blues are a bit of a favourite. (One of many.)
I've just pierced them and moved to the cheese fridge (~ 13C). I'll spray with PC in a couple of days time.
- Andrew

Offline Shane

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 38
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 03:53:17 AM »
Looking good Andrew. Have a cheese from me also. I hope you have more success with this than I've had. I used the dodgy wiki recipe which apparently would never work...  Did you pierce with an electric drill??  :D

Shane

Offline Raw Prawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:02:42 AM »
Thanks for the cheese, Shane.
Yes, an electric drill with a long 1/8" bit. Seems to work OK and has the advantage that, because a little cheese is removed, the holes are less likely to close up.
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 100
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
Well see I would never have thought to use a drill :)

- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !