Author Topic: Hello from Korea  (Read 6294 times)

huffdaddy

Re: Hello from Korea
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 04:37:18 AM »
huffdaddy, where did you find your rennet (name, website or description if local store) so I can add it to our Cheese Making Suppliers List for others?

And, do they sell other Cheese Making Supplies? Thx.

Here's the site.  It's all in Korean though.  They sell rennet, and a few other things. 

http://www.jmjmall.com/front/php/category.php?cate_no=35

Another page on the same site sells tofu molds which could probably be modified to press cheese in.

http://www.jmjmall.com/front/php/category.php?cate_no=52

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 07:39:49 AM »
Huff, you want to make sure you have the right amount. Getting a curd isn't the only concern, if you add too much rennet it can make the cheese bitter.

Cheese Head

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »
huffdaddy, thanks for the URL, added to our list of Cheese Making Supply Stores.

Good idea, I need to make a trip down to Houston's Japan/Korea/Chinatown area and see if I can find some tofu making stores for molds!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:04:19 AM by Cheese Head »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2009, 05:54:26 AM »
John, while you're there pick up more bamboo mats if you need them, they'll be cheap like my cologne.

huffdaddy

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »
First attempt since I got back from vacation.  A farmhouse cheddar.  I kept it in a warm water bath in the sink instead of trying to use a "double boiler."  I was able to keep the temperature steady and the curds came out nicely.  I don't have a proper press or cave yet, so I'm not sure how the end product will come out.  But it's progress.  When I move next month, I'll get the press put together and work out a cave.

Tea

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »
Huff thanks for the update, and great to know you are still trying.  Certainly hope this one turns out for you.
Keep us posted.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 09:09:59 PM »
Huff, if you don't have a cave just wax the cheese after you air dry it and that will keep the moisture in, then just stick it in the frig. It will be too cold but better cold than hot. It will also take forever to age.

huffdaddy

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:28 AM »
Huff, if you don't have a cave just wax the cheese after you air dry it and that will keep the moisture in, then just stick it in the frig. It will be too cold but better cold than hot. It will also take forever to age.

Right now, I'm using the closet on my laundry porch.  It's about the right temp, and I keep my cheese in a cooler with some water.  But I'll need something more dedicated in the spring.  I plan on getting a couple of goats and making a two batches a week.   

Captain Caprine

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
Huff,
What kind of goats do you plan on getting?  What variety of breeds do you have to choose from in Korea?
CC

huffdaddy

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 09:19:26 AM »
Huff,
What kind of goats do you plan on getting?  What variety of breeds do you have to choose from in Korea?
CC

From the research my gf has done, they have Alpine and Saanen here.  I'm still not decided which one to get.  I'm leaning towards Alpines, but it'll ultimately depend on what's available nearby.

Is that a Nubian in your avatar?  That would probably be my first choice, but we haven't found any here. 

Captain Caprine

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »
Huff,
Yes that is one of my Nubians (her name is Honey) and I would make them a first choice as well. I also have a couple o Saanen crosses.  I wouldn't rule out the Saanens if you are looking for loads of milk to work with.  I like the Nubian butterfat content but the production tends to be lower (quality not quantity).  There is also the noise factor to deal with as Nubians tend to be the most vocal goats on the planet!
Let us know what you end up getting.
CC