Romano number 1 worked out quite well. It was very tasty but hard as the hobs of hell so I decided to use adifferent recipe for number 2. The recipe I used was from Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking but with modifications to the salting process. It went as follows:
• 10 L milk (Fleurieu 8L full cream, P=3.3%, F=3.8%; 2Llow fat, P=3.8%, F=0.2%; P:F=1.15:1)
• ½ tsp (3 tads) Italian & Swiss thermophilic culture.
• 1/14 tsp (pinch) lipase dissolved in 30ml water
• 3ml CaCl2 in 60 ml water
• 2.5 ml 140 ICMU animal rennet in 50 ml water
Heated the milk to 39C and added diluted CaCl2
Sprinkled on thermophilic culture. Left 3 min then stirred gently 4 min.
Stirred in lipase solution. Left 5 mm.
Added rennet and stirred 1 min.
Rested. Floc time = 14 min. Coagulation time = 28 min. (goal = 15-20 min. Floc. Multiplier 2-2.5x P.D.)
Cut the curds to approx. 1cm.
Stirred gently for approx. 10 min. Rested for approx. 5 min then cut to 3mm with a whisk.
Heated to 46C in 15 minutes.
Stirred for 20 min until curds passed the readiness test.
Allowed to settle for 5 min.
Removed whey to level of curds and hand-pressed curds under whey for 5 min.
Transferred curds to a cloth lined mould. Drained without pressure for 15 min.
Unmoulded, covered and pierced to assist drainage. Allowed to drain 15 min more.
Returned to mould and pressed keeping warm (~30C):
• 0.14 PSI for ½ hr.
• 0.22 PSI for 1 hr.
• 0.37 PSI for 1½ hrs.
• 0.5 PSI for 2 hrs.
• 0.37 PSI for 1 hr without cloth.
Rested overnight without weight.
Brined in a saturated brine for 9 hrs.
Air dried at room temp for 3 days and yesterday I moved it to the cheese fridge at 13C.
I will do an oiled rind on this as I did for the first.