This Board is for Members who are interested in making or who make Soft "Simple" Type Cheeses.
Soft cheeses are the broadest of all the cheese segments in terms of technology and final product characteristics. In order to subdivide this wide category several other Soft Cheese Boards have been made: Normally Non-Rennet, Brine Preserved, Pasta Filata, White Mold, Blue Mold, & Washed Rind. This board is for cheeses that do not fit in those Boards.
General procedures and control points can be found in Culture Manufacturer CHR Hansen's Soft Cheese Brochure posted in the Library Board.
Some Soft "Simple" Type Cheeses sorted by origin are:
- Europe: Cottage Cheese, Sour Cream.
- Europe, Central & Eastern: Smetana.
- France: Crème Fraîche, Cream Cheese, Neufchâtel.
- Mexico: Queso de Prensa, Queso Fresco/Queso de Puna/Queso de Maracay, Anejo, Cotija, Panela, Queso de Bola, Queso Chihuahua, Queso Manchego, Queso Quesadilla, Ranchero, Sierra.
- Venezuela: Caujada, Llanero, Palmita, Queso de Cavallo, Queso de Cincho, Queso de Mano, Queso Guayanés, Queso Telita.
In addition to this board there are Recipe (Ingredients, Directions, Tricks & Traps, & Pictures) webpages on this subject on the Recipe Area of CheeseForum.org website