Author Topic: Spring Goat Cheeses  (Read 2670 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Spring Goat Cheeses
« on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:28 PM »
Nothing big, just a cool article on spring goat's milk cheeses from a site I enjoy.  I'd love to be on the west coast, right about now (Pav - would love to try some of yours).
- Paul

linuxboy

Re: Spring Goat Cheeses
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 04:32:45 PM »
Still rainy and early here in WA for the spring grasses, but milk production is picking up. In CA where I'll be next year, the season is much earlier, and there's good forage already to make some really special milk. I make my spring lactic buttons with a 24-hour coagulation, raw milk, rolled in fresh herbs and edible flowers picked from the field where the goats nibble, and finished with a candidum/geo/b casei spray. Eat young with a baguette and glass of rose. Still two months away in this climate.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:41:39 PM »
Still rainy and early here in WA for the spring grasses, but milk production is picking up. In CA where I'll be next year, the season is much earlier, and there's good forage already to make some really special milk. I make my spring lactic buttons with a 24-hour coagulation, raw milk, rolled in fresh herbs and edible flowers picked from the field where the goats nibble, and finished with a candidum/geo/b casei spray. Eat young with a baguette and glass of rose. Still two months away in this climate.

You're killing me, Pav.  Though it's melting off almost as soon as it hits ground, here in WI, we had an unbelievable dump of heavy, wet snow - trees covered as if it were Yule.  Not a whole bunch of herbs and edible flowers, yet!

Sounds incredible, and I'm sure it is - do hope to be able to try it at some point. 
- Paul

KosherBaker

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:52:47 AM »
Oh WOW. Where about in California are you going to be?

Rudy

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 12:56:41 PM »
In Ukiah, away from the city :)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
I didn't know that, Pav, or I forgot, if you told me.  Congrats, that's an absolutely fantastic part of CA.
- Paul

KosherBaker

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 05:17:11 AM »
In Ukiah, away from the city :)
That's away from the city alright. :) Did you already post what you're going to be doing there? :) And reason for the move?
Score one for Cali though.  8) We're getting a good one into our state. :) Although, I have to say Washington makes some really awesome stuff. Washington wine is by far the best value for the dollar in American wine. Far better priced than our own California wine.  >:( :( Although, I no longer drink so ....... :)

linuxboy

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 12:51:51 AM »
I think I posted in some thread before, but not detailed. We're tired from the years of extreme work schedules and are moving to more closely align our inner lives with our outer ones. I'll keep running my business, and will split my time between that and between creamery operations. It'll be very small, exclusively estate production, seasonal cheese, highly custom milk genetics, only autochthonous strains... very much ultra traditional meets ultra modern.

I far prefer Mendo wines to anything else. I'm biased, it's easy to love home because it's a part of me. I think it's the best value out there. Still very much undiscovered, mostly because much of the marketing and sales are direct, and a good deal of the wine is consumed locally. We do OK up here in WA, but the vineyard management still has a long way to go. I do love Walla Walla, though.

KosherBaker

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:51:58 AM »
I think I posted in some thread before, but not detailed. We're tired from the years of extreme work schedules and are moving to more closely align our inner lives with our outer ones.
California can be pretty good for that.
I'll keep running my business, and will split my time between that and between creamery operations. It'll be very small, exclusively estate production, seasonal cheese, highly custom milk genetics, only autochthonous strains... very much ultra traditional meets ultra modern.
Wow that sounds awesome. And Kosher too right?  ;D :P :) Just kidding. Couldn't resist.
I far prefer Mendo wines to anything else. I'm biased, it's easy to love home because it's a part of me.
Well in that case a huge and warm Welcome Home!
I think it's the best value out there. Still very much undiscovered, mostly because much of the marketing and sales are direct, and a good deal of the wine is consumed locally. We do OK up here in WA, but the vineyard management still has a long way to go. I do love Walla Walla, though.
I think Mendocino has mostly small and artisinal wineries, right? I was thinking about Chateau St. Michelle and Columbia Crest type stuff. Of course, a huge winery can't compare to the small scale stuff. I just thought their huge wineries (WA) made wines as good or better than ours and for less. In fact I used to see both of these regularly on Wine Spectator top 100, at least back in the day.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »
Quote from: kosherbaker
In fact I used to see both of these regularly on Wine Spectator top 100, at least back in the day

I thought we were talking about wine quality.  (Just kidding, couldn't resist). >:D  ;D

Pav, sounds wonderful.  As (I think - sorry, spacing) we exchanged a while back, your little AOC there has to portend many a night I'd die for.   :)
- Paul