Author Topic: Playing with Caerphilly Recipes  (Read 19485 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Playing with Caerphilly Recipes
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
Waiting 90 minutes to culture

In the meantime am putting on a batch of shortbread
I'm not sure but this might cause you some problems. Are you making cheese and baking in the same area?  ???

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2011, 06:26:34 AM »
Hi Boofer.
Milk was culturing in warm lounge room, whilst shortbread cooking in oven.
Am wiping down with vinegar between stages.
Nothing cooking now, just cheese turning and pressing.
Once it's on it's final press of 16 hours, it will be going into the dining room.
Still have to bottle a batch of beer which has been patiently waiting in the laundry, than have to bake some bread.
Sigh!  So much to do, and only so many days to do them all in  :D

gemma.tyson

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2011, 06:42:31 AM »
Just a thought Boofer.  Shortbread is only butter, flour and sugar.  Would this affect the cheese.
Was pretty paranoid all day today.  Thought only other cultures would have the possibility of affecting the cheese culture
We have been thinking of building a brewery extension!  May have to consider a cheese kitchen as well  8)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2011, 05:33:00 AM »
Just a thought Boofer.  Shortbread is only butter, flour and sugar.  Would this affect the cheese.
Was pretty paranoid all day today.  Thought only other cultures would have the possibility of affecting the cheese culture
We have been thinking of building a brewery extension!  May have to consider a cheese kitchen as well  8)
Sorry for the paranoia. Wasn't sure what the shortbread entailed. I believe the main worry is yeast-risen baked items because the yeasties have a tendency not to stay where they are supposed to and any cheese on the make may suffer.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
Thanks Boofer.
My partner thinks I'm a bit paranoid.  Even sandwiches are banned from my cheese area when I'm making cheese :)
Have attached a photo of the cheese, sent my brother a copy of the cheese as well so he can be a part of the making.

JeffHamm

« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2011, 07:17:14 AM »
That looks very good!  Nice make.

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
Thanks Jeff.
Am really pleased with the end result.  Thanks Darius for the inspiration of a half batch.
My brother is really looking forward to trying it.  Sending photos on a regular basis to remind him he needs to
live long enough to taste it.  It's hard when you live so far away from the major cities.  Would love to be closer
to spend these last few weeks with him.  He's getting married on Thursday to his partner.  Bedside wedding, but I
suppose for them it doesn't matter where they get married.  Hope to get down again next weekend.  Thought I might
cut my now nearly 3 week old first caerphilly just to tempt him.
Will post a photo when I cut it.  Still not quite knitted together.  Second one is much better

JeffHamm

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »
Hi gemma,

Looking forward to your report on your first caerphilly.  I've found that if the outer knit is not all that good, it is not uncommon for the inner cheese to still be really tasty.  You just have to cut away the outter moldy bits so you lose more cheese that way. 

I hope your brother's last days are as comfortable as they can be.  Congratulations to him and his partner on their wedding.  Joy in sad times is still joy and worth celebrating.  Take care.

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

« Reply #113 on: July 16, 2011, 02:46:26 AM »
My caerphilly is just going onto 3 weeks now.
Going to see my brother this afternoon as I couldn't go to the wedding.  Have cut the first caerphilly and had a taste, I'm amazed, it actually does taste good.  Am going to take a small piece for him to try while he is waiting for his.
The texture is a little on the creamy side.  Even though the outside did not appear to have knitted all that well, the inside only has a little bit of open texture, slightly crumbly in these areas.  It has a good taste, salt is just right, tastes a little like a lightly matured cheese.  I think I may have to make some more! 

JeffHamm

« Reply #114 on: July 16, 2011, 06:09:22 AM »
Yah!  :)

I really like caerphilly when it's young.  It has a sort of tang to it.  Your's looks really good on the inside, and even the outside knit isn't too bad.  You're recent gouda shows you've got that solved though.  I find caerphilly is a good cheese to make when you have others that you want to age a long time.  If you have one of these approaching the 3 week mark, then you can eat it while the others remain safe! ;)  Anyway, congratulations again on your success. 

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2011, 12:41:35 AM »
My brother approved of the cheese, so all good.
We had some for lunch on the trip to town.  We really enjoyed it as well.
I actually enjoyed it more than shop bought cheese.   O0