Author Topic: Playing with Caerphilly Recipes  (Read 19491 times)

darius

Re: Playing with Caerphilly Recipes
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »
Jeff, the one I cut yesterday was not quite 4 weeks old. I cut it into one half-piece and 2 quarters, all of which I vac-packed and put back in the cave bin. I thought I'd try a quarter piece at 6 weeks and another at 2 months, but it depends on how the one at 6 weeks tastes.

On the blue... I'm not sure I want it to penetrate since it wasn't planned as a blue. In fact, I'm thinking to wash it off.

Brie

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 02:37:51 AM »
You can wash off the blue mold with a mixture of vinegar and salt.

darius

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 11:43:31 AM »
Yep, that's exactly what I did. Thanks. :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 01:48:27 AM »
Hi darius,

I was wondering, have you tasted the thyme caerphilly yet?  If so, how was it?

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
No, I haven't. It was made on March 14, so it was just 3 weeks yesterday. (The one with lemongrass was made March 20.)

I had to take all the cheese out of the root cellar and out of the tub yesterday and clean them and the tub with vinegar. The thyme caerphilly is the lower lower of the 2 small wheels. It has become hard at the edge of the rind, so I may put it in a vac-bag for a few more days.

darius

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
Also, a friend just gave me this wine chiller. It should be perfect for blues when I get around to making some.

JeffHamm

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
They all look like they've cleaned up quite well.  You'll be ready for a cheese fest fairly soon! Looking forward to the tasting reports.

That wine chiller looks a good size too.  Get some tupperware type containers to use in the chiller and it will be quite simple to keep the humidity at a good level in the box. 

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 05:51:49 PM »
I couldn't wait any longer! I cut the Thyme Caerphilly today. It is REALLY nice! Not too salty, and not too heavy on the thyme...

I am immensely pleased! (and I think I will vac-pak half to see what it's like at 6 weeks.)

darius

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
I also cut a 2 pound Caerphilly, made earlier. I'm not a bit impressed. It is edible, but that's all I can say for it. It's a bit tasteless, actually... and dry and a little rubbery. I'll have to go back through my notes to see what I actually did.

This caerphilly has a strange looking maroon colored mold or something on the top and bottom that didn't wash off with vinegar and salt. When I cut it, I can see that it runs through about 1/8" of the rind. I cut it off the piece I tasted.

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 10:36:06 PM »
I like the look of the Thyme Caerphilly, I think I may have to try it.  I am curious about your red mould, did you don anything different with this one?  Was it the one that was becoming a "Blue"

Gave you a cheese for Thyme

JeffHamm

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »
The thyme one looks great.  In fact, they both look great, so it's a curious and a shame the 2nd one is so bland in comparison.  The rinds look really good on both.  Gave you a cheese for that.

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 11:30:02 PM »
Thanks Jeff and Ian... and for the cheeses, too!!

I haven't had time to look at the make records for the nondescript caerphilly; been busy getting seeds started. I will look at it tomorrow and report, but I cannot really fathom what caused the red mold. Most of the changes I have made in playing with this cheese have been time and temps.

JeffHamm

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
Hi,

I tried my sage wensleydale today, and unfortunately, it's not the success your thyme caerphilly was.  I was overly positive about this one, as it didn't knit well, and mold developed under the wax.  I decided to remove the wax today and clean it up.  The taste is ok, but the sage leaves can be bitter.  Probably would have been wiser to just add the tea, and leave the leaves out.  Oh well, we're going to try it tonight over backed potatoes, as it may be more suited to a cooking cheese. 

- Jeff
P.S. that should say I wasn't overly positive...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:06:34 PM by JeffHamm »

darius

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
Ack.

Makes one wonder why we want to make cheese, doesn't it?

Offline pliezar (Ian)

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Ian
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
For the fame the glory the hot and cold running water....wait that is why I go to work.  I am sure it will be a good cheese to cook with, I hate wasting product, that is why most of my mozzarella failures end up as a cheese spread.  I have lots of cheese spread!