Author Topic: Playing with Caerphilly Recipes  (Read 19493 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Playing with Caerphilly Recipes
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »
That's interesting.  The Sage Wenslydale that I made was over 6 weeks, so perhaps that's why I found it so strong?  Anyway, I found it made a great cheese to cook with so if the next wheels are too strong you may be able to use them on potatoes, etc.

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2011, 10:14:42 PM »
Jeff, I thought this one would be great crumbled on a pizza with spinach in the topping...

darius

« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
Forgot to add: Today I had the last of the first Caerphilly I made at the end of February. I had vac-packed a small piece and forgot about it in the cave. I must say even though I screwed up the salt in the recipe, it is still a fine tasting cheese now at about 8-9 weeks!

JeffHamm

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2011, 02:06:35 AM »
Sounds good!  I've got a caerphilly aging that's around 5 weeks now I think.  I made this one with the intention of aging it well out as I have a number of cheeses that are getting ready to try.  Curiously, this one has been quite mold prone, which neither of my other two were?  I've been wiping it down with saline quite regularly, and vinegar on occasion too, but blue mold keeps comming back.  I think my aging boxes are a bit humid, but I've been propping them open.  Anyway, sounds like letting this one sit around for awhile will be well worth it.  Thanks for the updates!

- Jeff

darius

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »
Jeff, most of my cheese get vac-packed at around 3½-4 weeks, excepting the 2 'stiltons' I have aging in their own prison cell. Usually I have cut them to try, and then vac-sealed each half. I'm having a difficult time keeping the humidity high enough without growing molds if I don't seal them.

I'll be glad when I can finally get the electric and plumbing work done in my root cellar so I can connect the old refrigerator I got for a cave in there. Right now it's sitting out in the yard (which is beginning to look like a junkyard)!

JeffHamm

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2011, 08:10:56 PM »
Hi darius,

I've not got a vaccuum sealer, so I have to fight the mold and adjust the lids until I get it right.  The past few days have been looking better, with no great return of mold just yet.  Mind you, one part of the problem is that it's been cool but humid here, so air drying doesn't really form a rind as quickly.  Anyway, I'm keeping ahead of things, if only just. 

Finished the dunlop today.  That is definately one I'll make again.  Will probably age it out a few months next time.

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2011, 02:26:07 AM »
All this reading about caerphilly has got me interested.
Can someone describe this cheese to me, what it tastes like?  Gather it is a hard cheese.
My parents were Dutch and emigrated to Australia with 11 children.  Mum used to always be on the lookout for a hard cheese with herbs in it (may have been fennel - may also have been thyme)  looked a lot like Darius cheese!  Hated it as a child, always spat out the bits. LOL
Would love to try one.  Where do I start?  Any good recipes for a novice who hopes to have a cheese fridge by the end of the weekend, who has no vacuum sealer or pH meter yet.
Any suggestions happily  received.

JeffHamm

« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2011, 04:31:49 AM »
Hi Gemma,

Here's the recipe I use.  I've not added herbs, but darius has and she's had great success with thyme.  I usually make this in 10 L batch size.  It can be eaten around 3 weeks, at which point it has the "sour tang" of young cheese to it.  I've got one that I'm now aging to 3 months as it's suppose to mellow out by then.  It's a "cheddar" type, meaning you stack the curds (cut them into slabs and then build little piles with the slabs) and milled (break the curds into small bits).

Personally, I think this is a great cheese to start with because it's not too difficult to make and it can be eaten quite soon after wards.  That way, you can find out if you're doing it right.

when I make it, I use a 3x floc; if you don't know what I mean by that, then do a search on floculation point, or "spinning bowl".  Basically, you float a small plastic bowl in your milk at the time you add the rennet.  the "floc point" is how long it takes such that if you give the bowl a gentle twist it won't spin (because your milk has thickened due to the rennet).  If this occurs at 10 minutes after you added the rennet, then using a 3x floc means multiply this time by 3, so 30 minutes, and cut the curds 30 minutes after you added the rennet (not 30 minutes after floc!).  I.e. if you put the rennet in at 12:00, and you achieved flocculation at 12:10, then a 3x factor means cut at 12:30.  Do not worry about "clean break", just cut at the appropriate time.  You want a floc time in the range of 10-15 minutes, so if it is faster (6-8 minutes) then next time you make cheese use less rennet, but if it takes longer (20 minutes, etc), then use a bit more. Eventually you will learn how much rennet you need to use with the kind of milk you use.

- jeff

Caerphilly: Making Artisan Cheese by Tim Smith and modified it a little by Gavin (from Greening of Gavin blog).
7.5 litres whole milk (2 gallons)
1 quarter teaspoon (about 2 ml) mesophillic culture
1 eighth teaspoon (about 1 ml) calcium chloride diluted in 60ml cool unchlorinated water
1 half teaspoon (about 3 ml) liquid rennet diluted in 60ml cool unchlorinated water
2 tablespoons non-ionised salt

1)   Heat milk to 32°C
2)    Add the calcium.
3)   Add the starter culture
4)   Ripen thirty minutes at target temperature.
5)   Maintaining the temp of 32°C add the rennet to the milk.
6)   Floc multiplier : 3x (time based: 40 minutes)
7)   Cut the curds into 6mm (¼ inch) cubes
8)   Raise the temp to 33°C (92°F) over ten minutes.
9)   Cook at 330C for forty minutes stir frequently to keep the curds from matting.
10)   Rest at target temp for five minutes
11)   Drain the curds into a cheese cloth lined colander, and let whey drain for a 5 minutes.
12)   Cut the curds into 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick slabs, and stack on top of one another.
13)   Turn the stack over, top to bottom, two times in ten minutes.
14)   Milling : break the curds into thumbnail-sized pieces, and blend with salt.
15)   Fill a cheese cloth-lined 1kg cheese mould with the salted curds and press at 5kg (10 pounds) for ten minutes.
16)   Remove and rub a layer of salt on both top and bottom. Flip/redress Press at 5kg (10 pounds) for ten minutes.
17)   Repeat the same procedure (salt), pressing at 7.5 kg (15 pounds) for twenty minutes.
18)   Repeat the same procedure, pressing at 7.5 kg (15 pounds) for sixteen hours.
19)   Air dry on a cheese mat and cheese board for about 3-4 days. Make sure you turn the cheese several times a day to ensure even drying and fat distribution.
20)   When the cheese is dry to touch, Place in your cheese cave at 13ºC (55ºF) at 80-85% humidity for three weeks, turning several times a week. No need to wax this cheese. It will form a rind, and if any mould develops, simply rub the cheese with cloth dipped in some salty water. The salt in this cheese should retard mould growth anyway.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2011, 09:55:34 AM »
Thanks JeffHamm. 
I have written down the notes for the kitchen.  Will start a camembert tomorrow, than through the week, work permitting I will try to get one started.  Thanks for your help with the booterkasse as well, much appreciated the prompt replies.
Darius did you use dried thyme 1.5 tsp?  Do you think I could replace this with dill?
Thank you all

gemma.tyson

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
Sorry Darius, having a derr day.  I meant fennel not dill

JeffHamm

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
Oh gemma,

Just a heads up.  Use the amount of rennet that normally gives you a floc time in the 10-15 minute range.  The recipe above says 2 mls, but if I used that amount for my 10 L makes I would get floc in about 2 seconds!  I typically use 0.6 mls now, and that gives me a floc time around 13 minutes.  From your butterkase make, I would think if you used around 0.8 mls you'll be in the target time window.

Rennet comes in such different strengths that I should change all my notes to just read "use amount of rennet that gives you floc time in the 10-15 minute range, or based upon packet instructions".

- Jeff

gemma.tyson

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2011, 11:09:48 PM »
Cool, thanks Jeff.
Hope to start this on Wednesday.  Now I have discovered how to post photos, I'll take some pics.
I've found that this is probably a good way of learning.  Write it up, take photos, post and get some educated opinion.
Gemma

gemma.tyson

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2011, 02:21:27 AM »
The Caerphilly adventure starts.
8 litres of Milk has been cultured with mesophillic starter and calcium chloride - rested for 30 mins at 32 degrees
Liquid rennet diluted in 30ml water (0.9ml) stirred in a up and down motion
19 minutes and still no flocculation time.  May just be starting to change.
Will leave for 1 hour and look for a good curd set.

gemma.tyson

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2011, 03:48:35 AM »
Flocculation time was 25 minutes.  Cut curds at 75 minutes - Good set
1/4" cut, now slowly heating to 33 C over 10 minutes.
Stool ready for stirring time.
Colander ready with cheese cloth for draining.

JeffHamm

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2011, 05:41:10 AM »
Hi gemma,

Ok.  Sounds like next time try a bit more rennet, maybe 1.2 ml and see where that gets you in terms of floc time.  As you make the same cheese over and over, you may find that the ideal amount of rennet varies a bit between cheeses.  This can be due to the fact that different temperatures are used, and different amount of times for just the starter to work before adding rennet (ripening times).  These sorts of things affect how the rennet works, so one type of cheese might give you a good floc time with 1.0 ml, another might take 1.2, etc.  Anyway, will be on the lookout for the photos of the cheese once it's done with the press. 

I keep my notes on my computer, this way I can look them over before I make a cheese to see what I did before and what might need "tweaking". 

Here, for example, is the layout of one of my caerphilly makes.  Next time I make one, I copy the previous notes, remove the particulars of times and temperature, etc, and then just fill in the details.  Seems to work for me, but you may find a better system for yourself.

Sat, Apr 16, 2011; Low Pressure, Temp 21 C, raining. 
Caerphilly
10L Home Brand Standard milk
¼ tsp 30% CaCl.
4 ice cubes flora danica
0.6 ml rennet in egg cup of water.

1)   Warm to 320C, add ¼ tsp CaCl, 4 ice cubes mesophillic culture (Flora Dancia) : 12:43 (hit 32.8)
2)   Wait 30 min (target time 1:13) Time: 1:14:30   
3)   Time 1:14:30 Temp 31.80C, add rennet (0.6 ml, in water), stir (target floc of 12-15 min; 0.6 = 14 last time)
4)   Floc time 1:26:30 so 12 min, 3x floc so wait until : 1:50:30  (36 min; 40 by recipe!) Target cut time: 1:50:30
5)   1:50:30  Cut into 6mm cubes.  v.good curd
6)   Rest 5 minutes to heal (start 1:55:45-2:00:45)
7)   Raise temp to 33 over 10 minute  (2:10 reached 33 about 2:05, starting temp was 32.5 ish)
8)   2:10: stirring for 40 min with curds at 330C (34.0 0C; it reached 34 in the bath, so moved to counter)
9)   2:50 : Pitch and drain after 5 minutes (temp is 33.2 0C)
10)   3:05   drain in cheese cloth for 5 minutes
11)   3:15 : cut into 1 inch slices, stacked (in the pot; in sink with warm water)
12)   Flipped stack twice over 10 minutes
13)   Milled into thumbnail size bits
14)   Added 2.5 tbls of salt
15)   Pressing in the pot under 5 kg (3:45-3:55). (10 minutes; water in sink is 43.6 0C)
16)   Flip, salt, and re-dress  (no salt this flip as the curds were not well knit)
17)   Press in the pot under 5Kg (4:00-4:10) (10 minutes)
18)   Flip, salt, and re-dress
19)   Press in the pot under 10.0 kg (20 min) (4:15-4:35)
20)   Flip, salt, and re-dress
21)   Press overnight under 20 kg. (starting at 4:42pm using even more weight as curds not knitting, though should be fine by morning)
Weight out of pot 1.464 kg;   Good knit, with a couple minor spots that didn’t seal.  Will fix with smoothing.

Air dry for 3-5 days until dry.

Saturday, May 28, 2011: brushed back and brown wild mold spots with nail brush and dry salted.
Saturday, June 18, 2011: weight 1110g

- Jeff