Author Topic: Mesophilic Starter Culture, Aroma Type - ie CHR Hansen's Flora Danica, Abiasa's Type II; etc.  (Read 4885 times)

rwingett

I've got a copy of Debra Amien-Boyes' book, "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes", and in addition to mesophilic culture, several of her recipes also call for something called 'aroma mesophilic culture.' I'm not exactly sure what that is. I got into cheese making through Ricki Carroll's book, "Home Cheese Making", and have gotten my supplies from her site, cheesemaking.com. I don't see anything called 'aroma mesophilic culture' there and wonder if they're just using different terms for the same thing. Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
I've got a copy of Debra Amien-Boyes' book, "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes", and in addition to mesophilic culture, several of her recipes also call for something called 'aroma mesophilic culture.' I'm not exactly sure what that is. I got into cheese making through Ricki Carroll's book, "Home Cheese Making", and have gotten my supplies from her site, cheesemaking.com. I don't see anything called 'aroma mesophilic culture' there and wonder if they're just using different terms for the same thing. Can anyone clear up this mystery for me?

Aroma B meso
- Paul

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Welcome to the forum, rwingett.

I've attached an extract from The Cheesemaker. It should help answer your question. If you search on Aroma B in other sites such as GlenGarryCheesemaking and Dairy Connection, you'll see it referenced.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rwingett

OK, that's starting to make sense now. What thecheesemaker.com refers to as 'Mesophile Aroma Type B/aka Flora Danica', cheesemaking.com refers to simply as 'Flora Danica' starter. They both appear to be what the Amrien-Boyes book calls 'aroma mesophilic starter.'

Thanks for the help. I think I foresee a Caerphilly cheese on the horizon.