Author Topic: where to buy GM rennet  (Read 3421 times)

Aimee

where to buy GM rennet
« on: March 16, 2011, 01:21:18 PM »
I'm a biology professor and I use cheesemaking in freshman bio labs to teach about enzyme function.  As part of this, they get to experiment with changing parameters to see the effect.  One of the options I like to give them is changing enzyme type and I offer animal, "vegetable" (I use the quotes because I can't bring myself to call a fungus a vegetable), and GM rennets.  I've been using Chymostar but now that my stock is depleted and I need to get more, I find it's unavailable.  I know of Chymax and Maxiren, but finding a place to purchase small quantities has been tough.  I thought that instead of me spending hours searching, folks here could probably point me in the right direction more quickly.

Cheese Head

Re: where to buy GM rennet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 02:29:39 PM »
Hi Aimee, welcome, I don't know where in the world you are but our global listing of supply stores is here, also there are some Manufactures Data Sheets here.

Aimee

Re: where to buy GM rennet
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:08 PM »
Thanks John.  I'm in the US (Maine, and generally I use New England Cheesemaking Supply).  I went through the list you provided for US and found Chymax from The Cheesemaker in WI.  That seemed to be the only place with GMO rennet.  I'll order from there and hope that they don't discontinue!